Which conical works best in your Omega?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun

Reaction score
I'm very new here as well as very new to muzzleloading. Last week I picked up an Omega and plan to shoot it for the first time this Sat. I live in Colorado where I plan on hunting Muleys and Elk. As many of you know, here in Colorado we can't use scopes or saboted bullets. That leaves the only bullet options as conicals or balls. I don't intend on shooting any ball and just about everyone in every forum or review that I can find on the internet is shooting sabots. I know they are the better bullet but if I can't hunt with them, I don't see any sense in working up a load with them. I have read very mixed opinions on the Powerbelts. I'm thinking if I can find a good all lead conical, that will be my best bet. That lead me to my question, Have any of you found a lead conical that shoots good out of your Omega? (100 yds)

I shoot a Black Diamond XR and have had excellent luck with the .530 460 grains No Excuses conical. They load easy and have a lot of down range power because of their weight.

Our barrels are the same, but the ignition and lock up system are different.

Also you might want to try a maxiball. For some reason maxiball just seem to shoot well out of about anything you want to try them in. With conicals, you cut back the charge and some people even put a wad under them between the powder to act as a buffer.

I just picked up another White on Auction. It is a .504 caliber Bison and it seems to be an excellent conical shooter (since they were made to shoot conicals). Also it is a small easy to carry rifle. Might want to keep you eyes open for one of them....

Cajun

I am deff. not a bowerbelt fan shot one deer 4 yrs ago with 348gr at 60 yds like to never found it no passth. no blood trail. right through boillerroom deer whent 80yds. ( junk )

I do love to shoot the big Conicals I have a little traditions tracker 209 and shoot the Hornady 385gr Grate plains it will print a 1.5" group of 4 at 100 yds. mine are a hollow base & hollow pt. THEY also make them in 410gr hollow base with solid pt. ( 4 Stars )

My wife shoots a 270gr SABER Tooth by Harvester out of her Knight Wolverine and they shoot great also at 100yds. They also make them in 300 & 350gr. ( 4 Stars )

Here are some sights to check out I have herd alot of good possi. feed back on these .

www.bullshop.gunloads.com
www.castbullet.com
www.blackwidowbullets.com

I cant remember the No Excuses web sight maybe some one can help with it.

MY sabot gun is a KNIGHT DISC EXTREME XT with 290gr Knight spitfire TMZ

RON

Cajun

I am deff. not a bowerbelt fan shot one deer 4 yrs ago with 348gr at 60 yds like to never found it no passth. no blood trail. right through boillerroom deer whent 80yds. ( junk )

I do love to shoot the big Conicals I have a little traditions tracker 209 and shoot the Hornady 385gr Grate plains it will print a 1.5" group of 4 at 100 yds. mine are a hollow base & hollow pt. THEY also make them in 410gr hollow base with solid pt. ( 4 Stars )

My wife shoots a 270gr SABER Tooth by Harvester out of her Knight Wolverine and they shoot great also at 100yds. They also make them in 300 & 350gr. ( 4 Stars )

Here are some sights to check out I have herd alot of good possi. feed back on these .

www.castbullet.com

RON

Cajun

www.castbullet.com

RON

Thanks for the info Lungbuster and cayuga! I'm going to start off Saturday with some Maxi balls and Hornady Great Plains. I already have some great plains I picked up at Wal Mart on clearance, they are the 385 gr H.P. I seen some of the others mentioned online. I can get the Maxi balls and Hornady locally so hopefully they will work out in my gun. If not, I'll order some of the others mentioned. Thanks again! Is it Saturday yet? :D

I have troubles with my Omega and the No Excuses and Hornady Great Plains. In my opinion, its not the bullets, but the barrel. All these bullets will start out ok when seating them, but the further it gets down the barrel, the tighter and harder it gets. To the point that I can only get it 2/3 down the barrel before it seizes. I have not tried the maxi-ball yet.

BTW, it shoots the Powerbelt 348's and 338 platinums great all day with 90 grains of BM3.

To compensate for this frustration, I ordered myself a Knight KRB7 Rolling Block from Natchez shooting supply. :D I hear its a great conical shooter, so I'll give her a try. $325 for the SS/camo stock version is a good deal.

PowderKeg

I have heard other Omega owners tell that their rifle did not shoot large conicals well, but did shoot powerbelts. If you shoot powerbelts, I would personally go with as large a one as possible.

1BigPowderKeg said:
I have troubles with my Omega and the No Excuses and Hornady Great Plains. In my opinion, its not the bullets, but the barrel. All these bullets will start out ok when seating them, but the further it gets down the barrel, the tighter and harder it gets. To the point that I can only get it 2/3 down the barrel before it seizes. I have not tried the maxi-ball yet.

BTW, it shoots the Powerbelt 348's and 338 platinums great all day with 90 grains of BM3.

To compensate for this frustration, I ordered myself a Knight KRB7 Rolling Block from Natchez shooting supply. :D I hear its a great conical shooter, so I'll give her a try. $325 for the SS/camo stock version is a good deal.

PowderKeg

Sounds like a very good deal. Does the rolling block use the plastic primer holder? Let us know how it performs.

cayuga said:
I have heard other Omega owners tell that their rifle did not shoot large conicals well, but did shoot powerbelts. If you shoot powerbelts, I would personally go with as large a one as possible.

If I do have to go that route, I'll try the 405 gr. aerotip.

Latest posts

Back