Which one?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This article, although informative, is simply regurgitating info that has been stated before.
IMHO (so long as your budget allows for the use of BH209) I would say that you should use whatever shoots best out of your rifle with your chosen projectile. I would also add to the list other manfs. of black powder and Pyrodex RS and P.
My experience is that in every rifle so far that I've shot BH209 out of (I'm still not done testing) I can get better accuracy with some other powder. Velocity also IMO means little. It just means you'll miss your mark faster!
As for the cleaning/swabbing, whatever you call it, that means diddly squat in a hunting situation where I have rarely needed a second shot. And if I do I have ample time to swab the bore if I want or I'm able to load a second load without an issue.
So it doesn't matter to me what the so called "experts" say on this topic.

Last edited:
For me the 209 and T7fffg both shoot the same in all of my inlines except the Patriot. I hunt 209, I do the T7 on the range except to fire a couple proof shots of 209 immediately prior to hunting season. This up-coming season my Accura will stay at home and the Patriot with smokeless will be in the woods with the Optima pistol doing 209.

so if i substitute 777 3f for blackhorn i can expect it to shoot the same using the same load as bh209? and i can continue to use fed 209a primers?

I do in my Accura and Optima pistol, both V2 models. I don't have to change a thing other than powders. I use Winchester 209 shot shell primers.

Back