Which primer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would explain why so many many shooters have had zero issues when using W209 primers. It seems most ignition issues could very well be a breech plug issue, rather than a primer issue...........

Speaking for myself.......Omega rifles/breech plugs never misfired with any primer; CVA rifles/breech plugs misfired on occasion.

Western Powders fixed the CVA rifle/breech plug issue by designing a breech plug that was near an exact copy of the Omega breech plug. Initially Western Powders responded to shooters with problems by instructing them to use the magnum primers. This didn't fix all ills, so they introduced a new breech plug which did fix all ills, iff the shooter did the proper maintenance.

If one does the proper maintenance, and has a well designed breech plug, it seems all shotgun primers will work, and do so in extreme cold temperatures i.e. -15° or thereabouts.
I

I switched to the CCI209M primers, when I was using the 777 pellets, and trying to get better groups. Hodgdon told me the pellets needed the hottest primer I could get, and recommended the CCI209M. I just stayed with them when I switched to BH209.

Looks good!
Having the correct headspace is what gives the clean ignition we all want. That primer works very well for you in that rifle, where it may not be as clean in other rifles due to length.
About 2 months ago I measured the headspace then decided to try my on method for improving on both of my Optima MLs.
Each had way too much head space that allowed blowby. They where always dirty after shooting especially when using pellet powders.
First I changed to BH209 which helped loads.
Then I saw the need to optimize the headspace.
That made everything much cleaner and I could hardly believe what happened. I was grinning from ear to ear.
By measuring I found there was from 0.007 to 0.01" respectively on each ML.
How did I change it?
I decided instead of using shims and o rings I would adjust the breech plug and firing pin housing towards each other until I achieved the preferred condition. In my opinion there was no requirement to seat those CW so I turned those CCW to achieve the results I like.
Both Optimas are clean around the firing pin and breech plug opposing surfaces after firing many times.
Today I shot the Opitma V2 15 times.Those normally dirty areas of past were as clean as when I started. Later I might post photos.

Funny how important that seal is for good ignition isnt it !!! I found that it also matters for the deposits left behind and to some extent the hardness of it too . I like the Federal 209a the best in my knight . Its plug is a custom job that is quite a bit shorter than most production or aftermarket plugs so sealing it IS harder to do . That seal made all the difference for me , no matter whose primer i tried !!! I finally chose the Federal because it was the cleanest and had the softest residue left behind . I also liked its heat . HOW a plug operates definately makes a difference on our choices . The length and design of the flash channel CHANGES things !!! But you gotta be sealed to find them .

Last edited:
This was talked about two weeks ago.
That is not going to work so well on the current CVA plugs. The action wont close if the QRBP is not seated all the way but the real issue is the plug seals on the nose too. Your Optima Pro is a pre 2009 style plug. You can shim out the firing pin bushing to achieve the same goal or shim the primer pocket.

Backing out the plugs is a good way to increase the chance of flame cutting and it wont be just the plug. The barrel will end up being cut too.

About 2 months ago I measured the headspace then decided to try my on method for improving on both of my Optima MLs.
Each had way too much head space that allowed blowby. They where always dirty after shooting especially when using pellet powders.
First I changed to BH209 which helped loads.
Then I saw the need to optimize the headspace.
That made everything much cleaner and I could hardly believe what happened. I was grinning from ear to ear.
By measuring I found there was from 0.007 to 0.01" respectively on each ML.
How did I change it?
I decided instead of using shims and o rings I would adjust the breech plug and firing pin housing towards each other until I achieved the preferred condition. In my opinion there was no requirement to seat those CW so I turned those CCW to achieve the results I like.
Both Optimas are clean around the firing pin and breech plug opposing surfaces after firing many times.
Today I shot the Opitma V2 15 times.Those normally dirty areas of past were as clean as when I started. Later I might post photos.

Photos:

20191106_173338.jpg

20200114_100529.jpg 20200113_135126.jpg 20200113_135145.jpg

I like CCIms also for a number of my MLs but they seem hard to get at times locally.

Just wondering what others used and why. I gave up on Winchester 209 years ago, when I had issues with them and the 777 pellets. I found the hotter CCI 209M solved my ignition problems, and I have stuck with them. Being an old clay bird buster and reloader, I have tried a number of the 209 primers, that I use.
Wow !!! I wonder why ?? Gotta be the plug doesnt like them or ??
My White is back to #11 (Rem) plug and i light off 90gr of T7 3f with it real well . No issues . I wonder why your rifle doesnt like them ?? That win 209 has alot more umph than my #11 !!!

I like CCIms also for a number of my MLs but they seem hard to get at times locally.
I agree CCI primers are difficult to find locally. When I wanted hotter burning primer I went online and found them. Then saw that buying by the case was cheaper because one much pay the permit for power shipping. 1000 primers is a bunch but long term is good.
I am still using from that case several years later.

Latest posts

Back