Which scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohihunter2014

Reaction score
Anyone use a Leupold or Burris ML specific scope? I am anticipating my Nikon Inline XR is trashed after its fall and if thats the case I am thinking about upgrading it to the Leupold or Burris. My concern is I was told to get the Nikon because it has a lot of eye relief which supposedly my CVA optima with a thumbhole stock requires. I would like to keep it under $200 but I guess I dont get why these ML specific scopes are needed?

What scope are you guys using?

Dont use Burris muzzleloader specific scope but do have a bunch of Burris on muzzleloaders.. Fullfield II,E1,mini compact and 2-3 older Burris Fullfield etc. I like them crisp clear view, hold zero and good warranty. they all have plenty of eye relief on 3-4 different make guns.

Consider
Eye relief....scope bite really sucks
Clarity...scopes that dont perform well in low light could cost you a legal harvest
Your available mounting options....You only have so much room between bells and the center turret.
Durability...a ML can be brutal on scopes.

On a CVA you have the mount moved forward to accommodate the QRBP. DNZ offers a mount with a tiny bit more flexibility.

Using the included mount, IMO you want around a 4" eye relief. You can buy a Loopie for about that price. How will a new model (VX-Freedom) hold up...Im not sure but the specs are good for the application. Cabelas sells a rebranded Meopta MeoPro 3-9x40 that looks killer for around $200. Currently they are out of stock. Cabela's Instinct HD Rifle Scope | Cabela's

Your dont need a ML specific scope.

Consider
Eye relief....scope bite really sucks
Clarity...scopes that dont perform well in low light could cost you a legal harvest
Your available mounting options....You only have so much room between bells and the center turret.
Durability...a ML can be brutal on scopes.

On a CVA you have the mount moved forward to accommodate the QRBP. DNZ offers a mount with a tiny bit more flexibility.

Using the included mount, IMO you want around a 4" eye relief. You can buy a Loopie for about that price. How will a new model (VX-Freedom) hold up...Im not sure but the specs are good for the application. Cabelas sells a rebranded Meopta MeoPro 3-9x40 that looks killer for around $200. Currently they are out of stock. Cabela's Instinct HD Rifle Scope | Cabela's

Your dont need a ML specific scope.
Thanks. I have a VX2 or Vx3 on my Marlin 45-70 and I love it. I was always a Nikon guy but once I went to the Leupold I was hooked. The new Freedom line does concern me because I heard they arent made as well when they had Vx1-2-3.

There are still a few Redfield Revolutions out there for around $200. Last one one i saw in stock was a 3-9x50 for just a little over $200. The other models are pretty much gone.

If you like Nikon scopes, they're still out there and usually priced right. I recently bought a Pro Staff 3x9x40 for about 125 dollars.
I know that Nikon is out of the rifle scope business but if you can get one cheap enough and you get a few years out of it, I think it's worth it.

Our CVA Accuras have Nikon scopes since 2012 with excellent results. My V2 has the Muzz;lel;oader Inline XR which is great in low light conditions. No problem with eye relief.

Big nikon fan here wish they were still in production. Maybe you can email them and they can ship you a replacement

Track down a Zeiss Conquest, eye relief is rather generous. I took a nice 10 point last year at 80 yards within a minute of the cam snapping this pic - 2nd pic. The pic was actually brighter than it was, quality optics trump everything.

1st pic is the day before, he’s the one on the right - scored 138 gross I think.

Not a fan of the BDC reticles.

PICT0629.JPGfullsizeoutput_ba4.jpeg

My recommendation is to look through a Burris scope before buying it. My Dad was a rep for Burris 25 years ago, and I’ve owned a bunch of them. Most don’t “fit my eye“ because of paralax. I don’t have the same problem with Leupold scopes. Every one I’ve ever had has worked for me.
Like the previous poster, I would also recommend the older Zeiss Conquest line of scopes. The 3-9x40 is a lot of scope for the money and in my opinion better than Burris or Leupold for about the same money.

Last edited:
for under $200 dollars is really going to limet you,I got a vortex viper 4x16 30 mm tube,really like it,Miday had them on sale for 350 normaly around 600 might want to give them a try if you coud strech your budget.

I also have the ZEISS Conquest 3X9-40. It has held up well and is very clear. Holds zero very well. I have tried the Nikon Prostaff. Not as clear as the ZEISS but held zero. Eye relief is decent on both.

Track down a Zeiss Conquest, eye relief is rather generous. I took a nice 10 point last year at 80 yards within a minute of the cam snapping this pic - 2nd pic. The pic was actually brighter than it was, quality optics trump everything.

1st pic is the day before, he’s the one on the right - scored 138 gross I think.

Not a fan of the BDC reticles.

View attachment 11864View attachment 11865
Great pics & congrats on the very nice buck. I was perusing GB over the last few days & I came across a used/mint cond Ziess Conquest V4 4-16x44 ZBI ret. I'm sellin my last guitar amp to fund a Rem 700ML .45 SML & it will be perfect for it. I won the auction last night 663.00 w/shipping. Thats a lil over 1/2 price of a new one which I could no longer afford. I had to borrow the money until my amp sells & really hated to do it, but lettin that deal go on that scope would have haunted me for as long as what I'll have this gun. I was going to spend a lil more than that on lesser quality scope anyway. I'm a bug Shepherd scope fan & have had 3 of them, but they aint no Ziess. I'm elated & can't wait to get it.

I also have the ZEISS Conquest 3X9-40. It has held up well and is very clear. Holds zero very well. I have tried the Nikon Prostaff. Not as clear as the ZEISS but held zero. Eye relief is decent on both.
Nikon is an ok scope for the price. I've had one on one of my Omegas many moons ago. But in comparison to any Ziess, it's like comparin an apple to an orange. Though they are both fruit or scopes, thats where their comparisons start & end. I've had some decent scopes thru the yrs, but never had any upper end Ziess, Swarovski, Schmit & Bender scopes. The Conquest V4 4-16x44 ZBI I won last night is my first. It will be the crowning jewel on my 700ML SML I'm fixin to build.

Latest posts

Back