who made this rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbowling2

Reaction score
.375 cal, 37 in. barrel, lock has L.M. stamped on it, plains style gun believed to have been made at turn of the century... a guy not too far from me has this for sale, says it has alot of patina(rust), says its functional, can be a wallhanger or shot... waiting on him to send me pics... 
this is a pic from his listing on Armslist, if not allowed please delete.

42280610.jpg

"plains style gun believed to have been made at turn of the century."

Which century? The most recent turn of the century was 15 years ago. :Questuon:

In 1900 + most people wanted new-fangled smokeless powder guns. Very few "obsolete" guns were made during that period. I have a broomhandle Mauser that was made in 1897. I would do some serious research before considering a buy.

went and looked at the gun looked to be .36 cal, it was definetly old...but it was a piece of junk the barrel looked like it had fractured out the side and someone had tried to repair it, you could actually feel a crack in the barrel like would be in a piece of wood(looked like someone many years ago tried to weld the crack and did a very bad job)...barrel was in decent shape on the inside though with just a small amount of pitting on one side of the barrel, rest was just dirty...wood look it had been run through a wood chipper, cracks dents, gouges and scratches everywhere..the patina was about a 1/16 of inch of rust that had been oiled... ramrod looked like a 100 yr old dowel rod with split ends.. the barrel did have really deep crisp rifling..he wanted 350.00 for it in that condition, told him Id be scared to shoot it with the barrel damaged the way it was, he said black powder doesnt develop enough pressure to hurt anything....:) told him Id have to pass.

Yeah, have him load it up and shoot it LOL. Good deal to pass on it. Thats still way to much for a wall hanger.

Back