Why aren't the Best powders for the Savage common powders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron S

Reaction score
I've noticed that the Best powders for the Savage are also the ones that aren't ussually stocked at most local gun shops. I know that 4227 will work,but yuck! I can't see why there wouldn't be a common powder (like 4895) or something that would work well in the Savage. A 223 will shoot well with 748,H322,Imr 4198, BL-C,ect. What am I missing here? Ron :?:

Re: Why aren't the Best powders for the Savage common powder

Ron S said:
I've noticed that the Best powders for the Savage are also the ones that aren't ussually stocked at most local gun shops.

Accurate Arms 5744 is a very, very popular powder for old blackpowder rifles. There are even published loads for the Springfield Trapdoor and other vintage .45-70's. It all depends on the local area, and the customer base. SR4759 is available from any dealer that normally carries Hodgdon product.

Few gunshops do a good job, in this area, of stocking reloading components at all. Rifle powders in general are not as popular as, say, Red Dot, Clays, WSF, Green Dot-- the common shotshell powders that sell comparitively high volume.

Around here, the paper punchers shoot more .223 and .308 than anything else. Few Savage shooters burn large quantities of powder. Apparently, folks are shy about ordering through their gunshops-- any gunshop wanting the sale can get any of them in, in just a few days. All they have to do is make a phone call for you.

Rifleman,I've seen a post about Darrel's in Cayuga! Does he stock N110,or 5744? I could drive up there and pick some up,if he has any. I live in Illinois,across the river from Vincennes,Indiana. Ron

Yes he does, he is closed on Monday but call him tomorrow to check stock, 765-492-3939

Thanks, I really appreciate the help! I want to use a 250gr. bullet for the comming deer season. I did have some N120,which will work well with a 300gr. bullet,but I've noticed that most think it's too much bullet for deer. Ron

I've noticed that the Best powders for the Savage are also the ones that aren't ussually stocked at most local gun shops.

The SAVAGE recommended powders really aren't stocked at most gun shops around here either. REASON? MAINLY burn rate. All the recommended powders are on the fast side. Stocked powders are there to appeal to the centerfire reloaders. MOST centerfire reloaders are loading bottle-necked cartridges starting with the .223 Rem, 22-250, .308 Win, .270 Win, 30-06 Springfield, 7mmRem Mag, .300 Win...etc. etc. Powders here usually start with W748, H-335, Varget, IMR-3031, and SLOWER.

Yup! Same here! The only powder that is kinda regular stock is 4227. I've shot some of it,and didn't have any problems with ignition( I use Fed 209A's) but it seemed real dirty burning. Rifleman has located a source for me(I hope). So I'll just take a drive and get some N110,and 5744 and go from there. Ron

The gun shop I go to most sold several original 10ML's so he stocks a good deal of powder that works. Living in Lawrenceville,Illinois I would guess that it would be a little under 1 1/2 hour drive to his shop. I'll get his # tonight and post it tomorow so that you can give him a call if Darrel's does not have what you are after.

I would call Gander Mountain in Terre Haute before heading to Darrells as it will save you about an hours drive.

A shooting buddie of mine went thru there last Sat. on his way home from the gun show at Indy. He said they didn't have any. But he was looking for 5744 for me. They may have the N110. Ron

The # I have for Dave is 812-247-2736 It took some looking to find where I had it, and I am not sure if that is his home # or the shop #. He is only open in the evenings (7-11) thru the week, and a few hours mid day on Sat.
Like I said he will get just about anything that you want if he does not already have it in stock.

Thanks HTR! I'll Check it out. That's not a bad drive from here! Kinda nice this time of year! Ron

Made it up to Cayuga today,and picked up a couple bottles of N110. Tomorrow the testing begins! It is a really nice little shop! Thanks Rifleman for the info.Mark was very helpful. Ron :)

Latest posts

Back