Why did you buy a NULA?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Corncob, good response. Even though my NULA shoots sub-moa with the Parker 275 BE, I used this bullet only one season. The bullet performs very well on deer, but from my gun, the bullet seldom passes through and I need a blood trail where I hunt. (Zero criticism of the bullet; I live in the south and hunt fields bordered by thick undergrowth.)

My brother now uses my NULA with Barnes 290 TMZ in Harvester boattail sabots. Moa with 38 grains 4759 and 1.5-2" with 42 grains.

I shot the NULA 6 times in late September using the blue (Knight?) sabot and the 250 TMZ with 44 grains 4759. VERY accurate (2340 fps). I probably will not follow up on this load until January but speculation is that the 250 TMZ or TEZ will ultimately shine in the NULA.

Cob, (if I recall correctly) a few years ago your load development with the HB Savage was informative and obviously successful. Why not do the same with a NULA?

GM54, do you put the primer in the bolt face or in the BP when loading?

Al in Mi said:

I load it in the plug but i imagine with practice or maybe a 209 primer tool i could load it into the bolt. Ive put them directly in the bolt with it removed from the action. I know a cheap priming tool can be made easily from a small piece of tubing but i just haven't made one yet.

There are also a few steel 209 priming tools that would probably work great with a small bend added. If there is a easier method ive missed after reading the archives i would be quite interested in what others use for their NULAs.

BTW i am the current active moderator for this section and i want to encourage the more experienced NULA owners to share their experiences after long term ownership. I would really like to see this section become more active again and informative for whichever brand/style/caliber ect you prefer.

Here's what I use to prime my NULA :

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... mer_Capper

I use this Traditions tool to directly seat the primer into the breech plug. I just use my finger to "flick out" the fired primer from the bolt face/extractor after opening the bolt. I tried a bunch of priming tools. This one seemed to work the best. You can get these in most well-stocked sporting goods stores that have a decent muzzleloading section, or just do a search to find a better price on the web.

Crickett said:
Consider the TC Dog Bone primer. Quick and easy and cheap.

Thats is actually the one im looking at. I thought it might need a slight bend but i wont know until i try one. I got pretty good at priming it by hand but during a hunt in the cold it might be a bit too much. Ive almost never needed a fast follow up but its still a good idea to be prepared.

GM54-120 said:
Al in Mi said:

I load it in the plug but i imagine with practice or maybe a 209 primer tool i could load it into the bolt. Ive put them directly in the bolt with it removed from the action. I know a cheap priming tool can be made easily from a small piece of tubing but i just haven't made one yet.

There are also a few steel 209 priming tools that would probably work great with a small bend added. If there is a easier method ive missed after reading the archives i would be quite interested in what others use for their NULAs.

BTW i am the current active moderator for this section and i want to encourage the more experienced NULA owners to share their experiences after long term ownership. I would really like to see this section become more active again and informative for whichever brand/style/caliber ect you prefer.

I would be happy to make regular reports if somebody is interested in selling me their NULA. :D

Pinedale said:
GM54-120 said:
Al in Mi said:

I would be happy to make regular reports if somebody is interested in selling me their NULA. :D

Is there so e place to purchaser hem that they do not cost1500?

I THINK the base price is $1300 and not many people are willing to sell them. I got super lucky and bought mine here for a heck of a price. Before i got one, i thought MSRP was insane but add up the price of building a custom sometime and you will see the price is VERY fair. I have about $900 in my Savage/Pacnor 45 and its still not quite finished to my satisfaction. The only thing that would come close is a build based on a Rem XR action and those are VERY expensive.

http://www.newultralight.com/HTML/mz.html

After my first range session with the 50cal i was on the phone with Melvin who is very willing to help BTW, about building a 45cal for me. I was more than willing to pay MSRP but he wont make a 45cal any more due to the chance of sabotless use.

It does exactly what it is designed to do and is a joy to carry vs a Savage or Rem700 build. Just my Pacnor 45 barrel alone is nearly the same weight as the entire NULA.

If you are happy with Savage "book powder" performance levels which are slightly faster (by roughly 150fps) in a NULA, then IMO it cant be beat for the money. I use mine mostly for sub 300gr bullets and use my Savage for the heavier hitters. Its not a benchrest queen, its a hunting rifle with all the knock down you will ever need.

His rifles are NOT a modified action from another company, they are his own design and extremely strong. The Timney trigger is even his design and fantastic. Some of the Nosler test actions from NULA have more rounds through them than you will ever shoot in a lifetime. His breach plugs last for over 10k shots and all the critical tolerances are benchrest quality.

Ive shot nearly every model of high end ML excluding the super highend customs and none have impressed me as much as my NULA for its intended purpose......HUNTING. :D

I am seriously considering going for the NULA ML. The website says they are a 1:38 twist. I have read elsewhere that you can pick your twist rate. Does anyone know which is correct?

Its a 1-32 twist but Melvin will make you one in other twists....it just takes longer to get it. I was very skeptical that a 1-32 would be ok but IMO its fine for the majority of bullet weights. SMI also uses Douglas 1-32s as their standard twist offering and i hear very few complaints even with a 300gr bullet.

The slower twist has a slight advantage with lighter weights too like the 200-225gr FTX or Barnes XPBs.

Thanks GM54,

I shoot mostly 300 gr. XTP .44's in my Knights. I have taken a lot of deer with that bullet over 100grains of 777 or BH209 and the smooth Harvester sabot.

Hey another question if you don't mind. Do you ever shoot smokeless? It is illegal here in Michigan for the muzzleloader seasons or in the shotgun zone during gun season. However it is legal in the rifle zone. I love ML's so much, the smokeless would be a good excuss to use the front stuffer in the UP.

Also, have you used conicals in it?

Uh oh, the price on the NULA website just went up to $1,800 today! Five hundred increase in one jump. Do you think the costs of the raw materials are that much higher?

I guess I can cross that one off my list. Just too much money. What a shame.

Wow, i refreshed my browser and saw the price increase. Thats a shame too. At that price more people will just build a custom.

Yes i shoot several smokeless powders between the 3 SMLs i own with sabots only. Smokeless is cheaper in the long run and the next logical step if you are already using BH209. Even my most expensive powder ends up costing half as much per shot at the same or much greater fps. A few are even easier to ignite than BH209.

No i haven't shot any conicals in the NULA. Ive got a nice 54cal brush gun for slinging big lead that isnt too much heavier. :D

I have to admit that I am still a little tempted. I would love a custom rifle and I love inline muzzleloading so...

Melvin hasn't raised his prices in years. It was bound to happen. Still a good value IMO.

Tom, how are you doing and how did you make out this year? I lost out on land that I had access to two days before the rifle season this year. Had to scramble and find some state land to hunt on. Unfortunately the only thing I saw this year was a few squirrels.

Hopefully next year I'll have another piece of property to hunt on.

Ed

Back