Why fight it

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
First time in a month I've been to my range and since we can't shoot till 9 am the temp was a lusty 78 degrees.  I had my old CVA Frontier with me I desperately wanted this to shoot conicals well so I could shoot it on days like this first up were the Hornady 240 gr Pa. conicals no soap first one keyholed and that was with a fibre wad underneath second one looked okay but I switched over to some 320gr REAL that i bought from Track of the Wolf these didn't load tight just a light tap on the short starter and my rod seated them. They fired better but the best group was about 2 inches at 60 yds.  So I went to the Hornady SST 250 gr., I had fired two of these before and they had landed almost on top of one another. They loaded tight and damn if they didn't group the best 3 shots in an inch 4 in an 1 5/8 and all 5 in 2 because I got greedy and didn't wait the full 8 mins. between shots.  Not bad for an old iron sighted rifle with my old eyes . I was using 80 grs. of Pryodex select with a mag spark.  But I might switch to Olde Enysford and either cci 11 caps or musket .

Not bad at all!

REALs and the PA conicals can be a real pain to shoot. I know I can get the reals to shoot but have to use a fiber wad thats been soaked in bees wax to shoot nice and tight. Another option is the maxiball.

Thats what I was thinking too or try a sub base under the real but that kinda defeats the purpose of limiting plastic  in a hot barrel.

Went back to the range today and had the rest of my box of SST's and shot with iron sights at 50 and all I can say is wow.  First group was 3/4 and they tightened up from there, warm but cloudy day great for iron sights. .  If I could figure out how to put a Tang sight on this I'd take it out to 150 .

Anybody use MPRO 7 gun cleaner on Pyrodex?  I have two times in a row and it seems to work well .

Latest posts

Back