Smokeless Muzzleloader in the Rain???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well last week was PA's muzzleloader bear season. And, the one day I had that I could ditch work it was raining off and on all day...so I worked because I wasn't sure how my Hank's smokeless muzzleloader would do in the rain

I used to only hunt with a muzzleloader during PA's late flintlock season after Christmas, but now that I live near Pittsburgh in the special regs area I use the muzzleloaders a lot more often - and earlier in different weather.

Does anyone have experience with the Hanks/Arrowhead type smokeless muzzleloaders in the rain? How have they faired?
Did you ever get a charge wet or stick a bullet?

Thanks,
R

We used to put a plastic cap over the muzzle of our service rifles, it would fly off when you pulled the trigger.

Electric tape or a latex finger cot over the muzzle and you should be hood to go.

I cant imagine rain allowing enough water into the breech to render a 209 primer useless.

I’ve hunted with 209 ML rifles and BH209 in the rain and they’ve always gone bang with expected performance and accuracy.

You could also use a full rifle cover to keep it shielded from direct rain.

The electrical tape is the method I have been using for over twenty years and it doesn't affect the flight of the bullet at all. A finger cut from a latex glove works just as well and will be long gone before the bullet leaves the muzzle. I you are shooting sabots you will have a much better seal against a drop of rain reaching the powder even without the tape or latex glove, but a sabotless or land rider bullet doesn't seal the bore until it is fired and a couple drops of rain will go right past the bullet and turn your powder to mud. I use red electrical tape because for me it signals the gun is loaded

I use finger cots but just purchased a caldwell fast gun cover to try.

I use blue masking tape on the muzzle. No issues over the last 35 years doing it this way.

Latest posts

Back