Why I still like 777 over Real Black

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^Perfect proof that we all prefer different things.
To my eye that is quite possibly the most unattractive gun I've ever laid eyes on, next to maybe an H&A underhammer.
I wholeheartedly agree with your first statement, however..I'm drawn to sgl shots and having made many gunstocks can appreciate the amt of work this project took. AND the underhammers you trod upon are not only form and function, but simplicity and efficiency. They are , to my notion, the best choice for a period correct BP hunting rifle especially in inclement weather conditions. These are all of the BPs I own with another 54 cal bbl in the works for the 50 in the white project. Stock material is a Russian Olive tree I cut down 9 years ago and it will interesting to see how this very dense wood turns out. Incidentally this is the third pronghorn taken by my 45 with the rearward homemade aperture sight. My grandson took one this year, a doe, with that same firearm. Respectfully, Mossie.PB260001.JPGPB260002.JPGP1010003.JPG

Hopkins and Allen have long been my heroes.
Their simplicity of design resulted in a things of beauty, others may disagree.
Your underhammer assortment is fabulous.
I love nostalgia.

I'm not knocking either gun and certainly not the skill it took to carve the stock for that Contender...just saying that we all have our own preferences. I'd love to have enough patience and skill to be able to carve a stock that well.
I actually own an H&A in a Heritage .45 cal. My uncle bought it from a guy that needed money bad. He'd had it for several years, and when I caught the BP addiction really bad he brought it over to show me...and then said "make an offer". I think my first comment about it was how unpleasing to the eye it was to me, especially having never seen one before. It had some rawhide wrapped around the wrist, so I assumed it was cracked...which it was...so I said "$100 bucks". Sold. I've read that they are very accurate little guns but still haven't gotten around to messing with it yet.

209s with Triple 7 is a Recipe for a NASTY Crud Ring. My problem came from my DRY Paper Patch Bullets, No lube of any kind, Just slide the DRY Paper Patched Bullet down and Fire, The Crud ring was HARSH here! Like i said, i had to back up with my Range Rod and Ram in to it, and instead of using a “Moist” Patch, i used Dripping wet Saturated Patches, Then Several Dry Patches. Accuracy was AWESOME, But the Crud Ring was HORRID to work with
I love the triple seven, and have no issues with clean up. And I use lubed shooter's patches as well. And Bore Butter.....

I experienced the same heavy crud ring with 777. Too bad because otherwise, it's a great powder. I also hear it degrades over time? All I know is upon firing one shot in a TC .50, I had to use a hammer on the ramrod to get the slug down the barrel.

An H&A was my first bp rifle. I ordered it back in the mid 1960s and still have it. It has been fired a lot and has taken deer, bobcat and squirrel. To me there is just something about the sleek lines and "old" aura that gets my attention. The tg/hammer sprng problem has mine just a wall hanger for the time being. The .45 bore is pristine and it looks pretty good for a 55 year old.
PICT0387-1.jpg

I'm sure as you all know by now I'm a big fan of the H&A. Beautiful gun Hanshi! I just inletted my fore stock and came in for more coffee from my shop ('till about 3 LOL) Drilling the stock screw hole next and maybe in for Thanksgiving when our friends start to arrive. Of course some will see my woodsmoke and stop there first with Cheers. Thanx for the ideas on the grip brass and patch box 'cause I will do like your rifle, I love it! Out here

I suppose I'm going to have expand my horizons somewhat to include one of these designs.
My only H&A is an Italian bootleg Tingle 'prospector' in .44. Quite interesting, tho.
Prospector.JPG
The Lord knows that neither Bob Tingle nor Hopkins & Allen had anything to do with it's manufacture

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back