Will another major manufacturer ever join Savage??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who will be the next to MASS PRODUCE a smokeless mz?

• Thompson Center

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Knight

• Austin & Halleck

• Remington

• Ruger

• BPI - CVA, Winchester, Traditions, etc...

• Kahnke

• NEF/Marlin

• White Rifles

• No one- Any Manufacturer building a BP sub gun will not mix the 2 in their product lineups due to c

• Total voters
To stay on topic with the post, Thompson seems to me to be the manufacturer best qualified to release a smokeless muzzleloader, and they have the best distribution channels in which to do so. They never were a dedicated muzzleloading company.

They also have the least to gain by doing so at the moment, and it would take a brand new model. As Omega sales continue to drop, they will of course be forced to look at it-- if they don't have one ready to go already.

To stay on topic with the post, Thompson seems to me to be the manufacturer best qualified to release a smokeless muzzleloader, and they have the best distribution channels in which to do so. They never were a dedicated muzzleloading company.

They also have the least to gain by doing so at the moment, and it would take a brand new model. As Omega sales continue to drop, they will of course be forced to look at it-- if they don't have one ready to go already.

While I actually voted for Knight on this poll, I agree with you Randy that it wouldn't take T/C much to bring out a smokeless Encore or Omega. It really would be nice to have a smokeless option in a rifle without that cumbersom bolt. I've never understood the need for a bolt on a single shot rifle....it's not like you have a quick follow up shot. Take the bolt away and you lighhten the rifle and make it more compact.....something highly desireable where I shoot.

Have you figured out when T/C made that sabot comment and about what rifle yet?

sheephunterab said:
Have you figured out when T/C made that sabot comment and about what rifle yet?

If I'm not mistaken, it was very early on. I read that somewhere, but I don't remember where. I don't think it mentioned T/C by name though. It was supposedly a few manufacturers that voided warranties if you used sabots. I believe it stated that they thought the plastic would melt in the bore.

I don't know for sure as I was not in muzzleloading then.

If I'm not mistaken, it was very early on. I read that somewhere, but I don't remember where. I don't think it mentioned T/C by name though.

It must have been quite some time ago because I've been shooting T/C guns since the very early 90s with T/C supplied sabots. I know they did reccommend not using them in their caplocks for a while but that was for different reasons. Hopefully Randy can dig up a reference to his comment. I'm very interested.

A loooooong! Time ago, butler creek came out with a (sabot?) that fitted on the rear of a round ball. Sort of like a cup that the ball fit in with a concave base. Can't rember what it was called,but almost all the companys warner against it's use. Infact,it may have well been the FIRST attempt at sabot shooting in a muzzle loader! It was years before Tony Knight ever built his first in line muzzle loader. Oh, the brain cells kicked in! I'm pretty sure it was called a Poly Patch! Randy can prouably remember this better than I can. Ron :)

Ron S said:
I'm pretty sure it was called a Poly Patch!

Yeah I think that's the name of one of the sabots for round balls. There's also the Hornady Hard Ball but I'm not sure they make it anymore.

Your right about manufacturers warning about the Poly patch but that was due to possible bore obstruction and not melting in the bores. My first guns manual warned against them.

The point was that it is not particularly unusual for manufacturers to prohibit items until they start selling them. Powerbelts are another example.

Thompson has a new management structure since just last year, so things change. In the 90s, they were a much, much smaller company, and not a leader in inlines-- they came late to the gate in inline development. Times change. :roll: Throughout the 1990s, there were an also-ran compared to Knight. That too, has obviously changed.

The point was that it is not particularly unusual for manufacturers to prohibit items until they start selling them. Powerbelts are another example.

Sorry Randy...I must have read your post wrong. I thought when you said

It wasn't all that long ago that Thompson warned never to shoot sabots out of muzzleloaders, and threatened to void warranties over it. Now, they sure sell a lot of sabots for a company that warned you not to use them.

that you meant Thompson/Centre but yes, it has been very encouraging to see Thompson/Center grow the way it has and it's even been more exciting to be part of that growth.

they came late to the gate in inline development

Thompson/Center was hardly late to the gate with in-lines but you are correct that Knight owned the market in the beginning.

T/C could hit another HOME RUN,if they would include an adjustable trigger group on the Omega. They want alot of denero,for a gun with out an adjustable trigger. My Omega came with a really bad trigger! Creep,and weight of pull were awful. After much work it was a good trigger(not great). That's one of the reasons I sold it. My friend is happy as a hog in a slop trough with it. If Savage,and Knight can build guns with an adjustable trigger,T/C could also! Infact one of my most accurate pistols(a Contender) has an adjustable trigger. The new G-2's don't have,and I hear nothing but complaints about them. Ron :)

Ron S said:
T/C could hit another HOME RUN,it they would include an adjustable trigger group on the Omega. They want alot of denero,for a gun with out an adjustable trigger. My Omega came with a really bad trigger! Creep,and weight of pull were awful. After much work it was a good trigger(not great). That's one of the reasons I sold it. My friend is happy as a hog in a slop trough with it. If Savage,and Knight can build guns with an adjustable trigger,T/C could also! Infact one of my most accurate pistols(a Contender) has an adjustable trigger. The new G-2's don't have,and I hear nothing but complaints about them. Ron :)

Mike Bellm can and does great trigger jobs on the Encore, Contender and G-2's.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php

Same deal,for that kind of money it should come with a owner adjustable trigger. Ron :)

Eventually yes I think it will happen, BUT I believe it maybe a while. I think Savage is going to have to start putting a serious hurt on them sales wise before they wake up and smell the coffee.

Unfortunately this could be a while. These smokeless are gaining popularity but the vast majority of "newbies" are still picking up the old "smoke poles". Eventually I believe smokeless will catch on like wildfire.

There seems to be more small custom shops offering smokless guns now. I think we are on the edge of the wave. As more people are exposed to them,the demand will go up! Since I got mine,my friends have become more interested in Savages! In fact two of them purchased them this year,and after the learning curve,won't go back to subs. RW was behind the move to get the Savage legal in Illinois,and that helped alot in their sales(at least here). I had mine before the smokless ban was lifted,and there wasn't much interest in having one,but that has changed now! Ron :D

Back