Will it ever stop????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northern MI has been getting nothing but rain for what seems like a month straight. There's no range day in sight, because if it stops raining, even for 1/2 a day Saturday, I have leaves up to the wazoo to remove.

View attachment 38333
Up the wazoo, eh? That must be very uncomfortable. lol

We hit the river backwaters this morning for crappies. At 7 AM it was 54 degrees and a breeze from the west. At 9AM it was 38 degrees and a full blown gale from the NW and rain. Two 18 pound anchors would not hold a 16.5' boat so we left.

This thread reminds me of brownisdown's "It's here already thread in a way. Our FleetFarms have Christmas stuff out already, have for a month. Its not even Halloween and portions of northern Minnesota and North Dakota look like its Christmas-time, white with snow and we have light snow forecast for our area today/tonight. Highs in the mid 30's for the next week and our general deer season opens in a week so hopefully those temps will hold on until then.

We were in severe drought mode only a month ago and have since recorded several inches of the -10+ inches of rain we were down. I don't really think we are out of trouble yet with rainfall amounts. The ground here is still fairly dry down a ways. I dug sweet potatoes last week and below a foot the dirt was basically dry.

It seems that one area gets too much water and others get none. Its a strange cycle we are in for sure.

They hit until the front passed, then zip. None of the big river crappies have shown up yet. We'll likely see them about the time the deer season winds down for me and then I'll be fishing hard again.

I don't think I have ever seen the river water levels this low in the past 18 years.
It wasn't that long ago (2013) all of the great lakes had record low water levels. So much so many boaters had to find new locations to launch from.
In 2020 we were at near record highs. Mother is fickle for sure.
They hit until the front passed, then zip. None of the big river crappies have shown up yet. We'll likely see them about the time the deer season winds down for me and then I'll be fishing hard again.
Back in the 70s we'd float/troll with "Pinkies" when the Crappie were hitting. They were simple little jigs with a pink head and white hair. Sometimes we slayed 'em with those

Still raining clear down south in Decatur as well. This is been the wettest bow season. I can ever remember.

Greg

Had to wait for the rain to quit this morning again before I could bow hunt

Greg

Latest posts

Back