Will this load work?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake1

Reaction score
Hello my son would like to go deer hunting during the youth season. This weekend we shot my triumph with 50 grains powder and 250 grain shockwave at 50 yards he did pretty good . Is this going to be okay for deer.

My son shoots 80 grains of BH209 with a 250 grain Barnes all copper bullet and it is very lethal at the ranges he shoots. His furthest shot last year was 105 yards (which is his limit) on a doe. She dropped in her tracks from a spine shot and the bullet traveled the length of her body and lodged in her hip. The other two deer he took were pass throughs. If your sons shots are limited to 50 yards, I would say it should get the job done but any further, you may want to up the charge some.

In my son's Triumph we shot 50 grains of Triple 7 FFFG and it shot good with the 200 grain Harvester Funnel Mags and 260 grain Harvester Funnel Mags at 50yds. My son is 10 and weighs 70lbs and he will be limited to 50 yrds if he hunts this year. He is comfortable shooting that load and I do not want him to get scared of the recoil. I have alot of other bullets to try thanks to GM 54-120. I will let you know how they shoot when we get around to testing them.

Latest posts

Back