Williams Hawken FP w/target knobs ? ? ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Offshore

Reaction score
Alrighty. . .I've decided that I am going to go with the Williams Hawken FR sight with target knobs on my project gun. They are NOWHERE to be found!!! Every place is out of stock/unavailable and no idea when they will be back in-stock. Does anyone here on the forum have a lead on where I could buy one or have a new/used one they wish to sell? Is this sight going to be one of those "discontinued" everyone loves type of items? Any guidence would be greatly appreciated.

I might try putting one on "back order" thru someplace like Brownell's. They have been pretty good, for me, with backorders. Although sometimes it takes a while.

Alrighty. . .I've decided that I am going to go with the Williams Hawken FR sight with target knobs on my project gun. They are NOWHERE to be found!!! Every place is out of stock/unavailable and no idea when they will be back in-stock. Does anyone here on the forum have a lead on where I could buy one or have a new/used one they wish to sell? Is this sight going to be one of those "discontinued" everyone loves type of items? Any guidence would be greatly appreciated.

I have a few of these Sights, Setup both ways. If i did it over again, i Personally would ONLY Go with the Elevation Target Knob. And a Gib Lock Screw. I would prefer to sight in and LOCK The Windage Down to STAY PUT and Not have to worry that it moved on me in the Field Hunting. They Click Fairly easily.

The Gib Lock is a Knurled Knob that takes place of the Little Flat head screw that LOCKS the Slider in place. The Gib lock allows you to loosen by hand, and QUICKLY make adjustments in the Field, Without a Gib lock you need a Little Flat Head Screw Driver

Here is the FP Hawken Without TK (Target Knobs) and Gib lock. You can see the little Flat head Screw on the Side that LOCKS the Slider down. Again, without the Knurled Gib Lock it requires a Screw Driver (not very handy in the field, UNLESS you plan to Set it, and LOCK it Down? But then, what good are Target Knobs?)
mnf7c9pl.jpg

Here is the Gib Lock
vkI9gcu.jpg

And here you can see my FP Hawken with TK (Target Knobs) and Gib lock, Note the Gib on the left Side Taking place of the Little Flat head Screw. The ONLY thing i would Change here is the Windage TK, I would Rather Sight in and Be able to LOCK the Windage Down. In All Reality a guy doesn’t need Taget Knobs at all, The Elevation is VERY Limited, it only allows a very Small amount of Adjustment and you run off the Worm Gear, then the Slider simply Slides. If i buy another FP Hawken down the Rd, The ONLY thing i will get is the Knurled Gib Lock, I will Avoid Target Knobs all together. The Gib will unlock the Slider, Allowing me to make QUICK EASY field adjustments Without having to Dial/Click the Target Knob, Just unlock the Gib, and Slide where you want it, and LOCK it back Down, instead of DIALING DIALING DIALING to Adjust. The Lyman 57 Peep sight has a Push Button “By pass” For the Worm gear, for QUICK field Adjustments, The Williams does NOT, you have to Continually Spin the Knob
zXdAw8Wl.jpg

Lewis,
I fully agree with you. That in a way was going to be my plan after I got my hands on one (if - I get my hands on one). Elevation in my main adjustment concern -after- I get my rifle dialed in. It is not like I'll be shooting at distance so far with this hunting that windage will be an issue. If you should come across one of these sights across your web viewing, please let me know. Thank you, Sir.

Lewis,
I fully agree with you. That in a way was going to be my plan after I got my hands on one (if - I get my hands on one). Elevation in my main adjustment concern -after- I get my rifle dialed in. It is not like I'll be shooting at distance so far with this hunting that windage will be an issue. If you should come across one of these sights across your web viewing, please let me know. Thank you, Sir.

Will do Partner :lewis: They are DARN Good Sights!

Lewis, This may sound like a dumb question, but I have to ask. On my Hawken and 57 sml, the hammer is just about touching the peep when fully cocked. And makes unlocking difficult. Is it supposed to be so close?

Lewis, This may sound like a dumb question, but I have to ask. On my Hawken and 57 sml, the hammer is just about touching the peep when fully cocked. And makes unlocking difficult. Is it supposed to be so close?

Good Question James :lewis: This can be an issue, though i have Learned the “Feel” of Close Hammer To Peep, and I don’t have any Problems. The Remedy for this is to Pull your Hammer off the Gun, Place hammer in a Vice and Heat it with Acetylene Torch, and Bend “Offset” it.

On this TC New Englander i simply had to Bend it. If this was a High Spur Hammer I wouldn’t of Had to. TC made 3 Variations of their Hammer, maybe 4?

This is not the Best picture as it’s a Side view, I don’t have a Top view, But if you look closely you should be able to See that the Hammer Spur is Bent Toward us in this Photo, If this was a Top view, the Hammer would be Bent to the Right, This allows it to Easily Clear the Peep Bridge. It might sound like a “Tricky” Fix, But it’s NOT, Heat that Sucker up Hot and put a Bend it :lewis:
rhPRAgE.jpg

Good Question James :lewis: This can be an issue, though i have Learned the “Feel” of Close Hammer To Peep, and I don’t have any Problems. The Remedy for this is to Pull your Hammer off the Gun, Place hammer in a Vice and Heat it with Acetylene Torch, and Bend “Offset” it.

On this TC New Englander i simply had to Bend it. If this was a High Spur Hammer I wouldn’t of Had to. TC made 3 Variations of their Hammer, maybe 4?

This is not the Best picture as it’s a Side view, I don’t have a Top view, But if you look closely you should be able to See that the Hammer Spur is Bent Toward us in this Photo, If this was a Top view, the Hammer would be Bent to the Right, This allows it to Easily Clear the Peep Bridge. It might sound like a “Tricky” Fix, But it’s NOT, Heat that Sucker up Hot and put a Bend it :lewis:
rhPRAgE.jpg
Well, completely of subject, that club reaaly close to me only allows fixed open sights. Not even a fixed peep is allowed which makes zero sense to me. But hey, its their club and their rules. There is another club, 50 miles away, that does allow peep and adjustable sights.

Well, completely of subject, that club reaaly close to me only allows fixed open sights. Not even a fixed peep is allowed which makes zero sense to me. But hey, its their club and their rules. There is another club, 50 miles away, that does allow peep and adjustable sights.

That’s a SHAME they don’t allow Peep sights! I don’t understand that either? As long as EVERYONE has the Option to use them if they so chose to do so? Why would it matter? The Peep sight allows for a better sight picture, Why not use them to Better your Shooting?

I think this mentality comes from “Traditionalist” type Characters, a LOT of them guy’s are Lucky to hit a Pie Plate at POINT BLANK Range, When Somebody walks in and “Sweeps the Floor” with em, they Don’t like it :D

Just bought mine from Muzzleloaders.com . Got the Williams FP Hawken #1342 with target knobs and also the Lyman Front Globe 17AHB for my TC Hawken 50 cal 1-48 twist barrel. Just need to drill and tap one hole. Will see if my drill press is good enough for this. Where do you find the different appetures for these sights? Ordered the gib lock from Brownells tonight as Muzzleloaders.com didn't list it.
DL

Just bought mine from Muzzleloaders.com . Got the Williams FP Hawken #1342 with target knobs and also the Lyman Front Globe 17AHB for my TC Hawken 50 cal 1-48 twist barrel. Just need to drill and tap one hole. Will see if my drill press is good enough for this. Where do you find the different appetures for these sights? Ordered the gib lock from Brownells tonight as Muzzleloaders.com didnt list it.
DL

Good Stuff DESPERATE LEE :lewis: I use Lee Shavers inserts, and get them at Buffalo Arms. You can order them Directly from Lee as Well
https://www.buffaloarms.com/series-17a-special-insert-card-item-ls001-17aspecial
http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/front-sight-insert-cards/

This is 1 of my FP Hawken’s with TK, and Gib Lock. I also prefer the Large Target Eye piece. I have Shot this Particular Setup to 500 Yards, i have a Scribed 500 Yard mark in it :lewis:
gBZTmL4l.jpg

Last edited:
I have Several Cards of Lee’s 17 Inserts, I would be in TROUBLE on Target without em!

lBpyI4rl.jpg

Where do you get the different Eye Piece for them? Don't figure I will be shooting 500 yards. 100 to maybe 150 but mostly less than 100 yards where I hunt. Lots of hills brush mesquite and oak and pecan groves.
Desperate Lee (Gary)

Where do you get the different Eye Piece for them? Don't figure I will be shooting 500 yards. 100 to maybe 150 but mostly less than 100 yards where I hunt. Lots of hills brush mesquite and oak and pecan groves.
Desperate Lee (Gary)

Williams Makes them, I get them at Buffalo Arms as well (I get pretty much everything there since i live so close) Some People like the Larger Eye Piece, Some Don’t. Personal preference thing. I REALLY like them, I feel they help with Peripheral distraction, and help me Concentrate/Focus Through to my Target. These come at .050, Which I REALLY Like for Most Target Situations, But For Hunting you would Probably be better with a Larger .095-.125, These are Aluminum and EASY to Drill out Larger, i have done it to 2 of them that Stay on Hunting Rigs. I was easily able to hold the Aperture in hand and Drill it, The Bit Will Follow the Existing Hole if you are Within reason of being Straight

https://www.buffaloarms.com/william...cup-1-diameter-x-050-target-aperture-wgs49891

Back