Williams FP-Hawken install on sidelock TCA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpkvet

Reaction score
Just received Williams FP-Hawken rear sight. Secret in ordering is search Williams 1340 or 1342 (target knobs) FP-Hawken comes up out of stock.

Could someone please Detail installation on TCA 2 screw tang? Video? Photos of how mounted? Relief cut on left side of stock needed?

Thanks. Idaho Lewis an inspiration!

Idaholewis can speak more authoritatively to drilling & tapping the tang for a third screw. It is my understanding, & please correct me if I am wrong, that the rear screw hole for the tang was utilized, as well as a third screw hole located between the 2 holes in the Thompson/Center tang. Certain rifles produced at various times in Thompson/Center's history came stock with the third screw hole in the tang already drilled & tapped for a Lyman 57 rear sight.

When one purchased a 57SML, or 57SMR rear sight, the proper screws for mounting a 57 rear sight on one of the various Lyman sidelock muzzleloading rifles, were included with the sight. Certain other factory rifles, to include Thompson/Center, came factory drilled & tapped for the Lyman 57 sights.

Just received Williams FP-Hawken rear sight. Secret in ordering is search Williams 1340 or 1342 (target knobs) FP-Hawken comes up out of stock.

Could someone please Detail installation on TCA 2 screw tang? Video? Photos of how mounted? Relief cut on left side of stock needed?

I had to drill and tap the center hole when I installed mine. Pretty straight forward if you are familiar with drilling and tapping into metal. Also I believe Lewis takes metal off of the sight and leaves the gun unaltered. I didn’t even think to do that and took a file to my stock(correction: this was needed for my Lyman SML 57 sight not my Williams hawken FP. I got my two guns/sights mixed up). I don’t really care too much because I don’t ever plan to get rid of my guns and even if I did the sight would go with it. I placed the sight on the tang (removed from the gun) and put the rear mounting screw in the hole with the sight on the tang and then lined up the second hole to mark for drilling. Then triple and quadruple checked my alignment, marked it on the tang, then rechecked again. Then started with a small drill and then checked again, then drilled the appropriate size hole for the tap. If I remember correctly, that mounting screw is an oddball size. I work in heavy industry and had a entire tool room with a full industrial cabinet full of taps and dies and it wasn’t in there. But good ole Amazon had them for $10 or so. I supposed you could use a more common size machine screw (1/4 20 maybe) but I didn’t go that route

Last edited:
Those sights are hard to find. I only recently found a 1340 on Gritroutdoors and I just now ordered 1342 from Ochoco. Took me a year to find the correct Lyman 57's but I also wanted the Williams because of the gib lock on the elevator.

Also, I have a spare tang for a TC hawken/renegade that has the hole already in it. I bought it just in case I screwed mine up (and surprisingly I didn’t screw it up). I’d be willing to give it to you if you want. Just PM me if you need it

You should not need to cut the stock when mounting the Williams sight. Nor should you when mounting the Lyman. It’s preferable (speaking of the Lyman now) to remove material from the underside of the base where it will not be seen and if removed later on no evidence will remain on the rifle. The “Lyman cut” on the t/c rifle is a nasty blemish and I’d never buy one so treated.

You should not need to cut the stock when mounting the Williams sight. Nor should you when mounting the Lyman. It’s preferable (speaking of the Lyman now) to remove material from the underside of the base where it will not be seen and if removed later on no evidence will remain on the rifle. The “Lyman cut” on the t/c rifle is a nasty blemish and I’d never buy one so treated.
Yeah, I wish I had know this before doing so to mine. I posted earlier stating that this was what I had done to install my Williams but you are correct…it was my Lyman sighted rifle that I made this modification. It didn’t come out looking too bad imho, but removing metal from sight is definitely the better way to get the correct clearances

AE2A0DAE-0B0F-470C-BA44-91065767B8A8.png

Last edited:
Here is a tutorial I've back in 2010. I started grinding the metal off the bottom of the sight back about 2006 I think. At the time I was the first guy I had heard of to do this.
Here is a link to a site where I posted how drill and tap.

https://www.monstermuleys.info/xf/threads/installing-a-57-sml-on-a-tc-renegade.97993/#post-1077164
I have also used shims I have made out of aluminum to raise the Lyman peep to not only give clearance but to give me more adjustment. A guy can make a shim that would go from hole to hole on the tangs with two holes then drill and tap just the shim. There are several options. Cutting the wood is not an option.

Attachments

• 20211114_082637.jpg
    20211114_082637.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 20211114_082653.jpg
    20211114_082653.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 35
New Williams sight on TCA Hawken RB Shooter. Special thanks to bstorric for generous help😃👍

now to see full potential of green mountain .54 rb barrel

Get a Gib lock screw for it. The first one I saw was on a rifle a friend of mine named Mike had. I bet it was back in 2016 or 2017 it might have been before that. After seeing his it didn't take me long to switch mine.
Here is mine on my MK85

SdfnLPC.jpg

Last edited:
X2 on the gib lock screw. I put them on my FP sights. You wont need a screwdriver to adjust elevation once youve installed it. FYI they're about 1/8" too long(stick out past the inside of the sight) and can contact the stock on some guns, probably not yours but be aware.

Those sights are hard to find. I only recently found a 1340 on Gritroutdoors and I just now ordered 1342 from Ochoco. Took me a year to find the correct Lyman 57's but I also wanted the Williams because of the gib lock on the elevator.
Just so you guys know. Believe it or not, Amazon of all places have William FP Hawken sights in stock. :woohoo:I just bought one.

Get a Gib lock screw for it. The first one I saw was on a rifle a friend of mine named Mike had. I bet it was back in 2016 or 2017 it might have been before that. After seeing his it didn't take me long to switch mine.
Here is mine on my MK85

Where did you find the gib lock screw? Looks like brownells is out of everything including the target knobs.

If youre FP is not the TK model then you want the short one. Although the TK model comes with the long knob. IDK why that is but it worked when I added target knobs to my FP sight.

There is a .50 caliber, smoothbore, Thompson/Center Hawken for sale on our sister forum, The Muzzleloading Forum. So far, no takers.

The left side of the stock has been positively hogged out to accommodate a Lyman/Williams receiver sight that was barrel mounted, not tang mounted.

It is so hideous,
that I simply can't fathom why anyone would butcher up a perfectly serviceable stock in such a way. A view from the left side shows a huge rectangle of missing wood, with the ramrod visible in its channel/hole. In addition, the wrist has had wood removed to install a tang receiver sight, as has been discussed in this thread.

All in all, a real butt ugly parts gun, with a too heavy smoothbore barrel that is too expensive, IMO.

The rifle in question, is priced way too expensively, IMO, for such a butcher job, at $400.00.

Hogging out so much wood, IMO, reduces the value of the rifle by at least $200.00.

The. 50 caliber smoothbore Hawken barrels, measuring 15/16" straight octagon × 28" long, weigh far too much, and have a terrible balance for a smoothbore muzzleloader. The high prices that people are asking for these .50 smoothy barrels simply don't reflect the reality of what can be accomplished with one of them.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/t-c-50-smoothbore-hawken.137357/#post-1944819

Latest posts

Back