Windex for cleaning and swabbing?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLC

Reaction score
Anybody use Windex or ammonia type winshield cleaning fluid for cleaning or swabbing the bore between shots? I've read that some shooters use it for this purpose.

If anyone here has any experience with this, how did it work for you?

Thanks

GLC,

I have used Windex/vinegar spray to clean my Black-powder cartridge rifles with. Works great! As I don't have any muzzleloader yet (wife says it's on the way)I can't speak as to how that combo. will work. I will report on that later :lol: , when the new rifle arrives.

GLC,

I have been using the windex/ammonia patches for years. I am shooting t7 and the the damp patches really work well for cleaning out the barrel between shots at the range or while recreational shooting. I put damp patches in a zip lock bag and haul them to the range or rock pit. I follow the damp pad with a dry pad. This also allows time for the barrel to cool.

In the field hunting I just use a plain old fashioned spit patch.

Patchin'

While I'm certainly no expert, I've been using Windex and/or Simple Green to clean my omega and Firestorm after shooting but I only spit patch/dry patch between shots. The Simple Green does a great job and it's relatively cheap.(about 6 bucks a gallon)

RG

This, Simple Green, what is it? In for example, Wallmart, What dept would I find it in? Thanks in advance for a reply.

I have been using TC's Number 13 solution on all of my muzzleloaders for cleaning. If you use windex or simplegreen, what do you lubricate the barrel with after cleaning, oil or something like bore butter?

After cleaning my rifle barrel, with any BP cleaner, I put a few drops of Break Free CLP on a couple of soft cotton patches and run them thru the bore. It protects very well. I have never used Bore Butter, so I can't speak about it.

I've heard a few mentions of bore butter here on this thread. I noticed barrel fouling in my Thompson Center Omega. I threw everything at it to try to scrub it out. Turns out the fouling is the bore butter that over time bakes in the barrel. Sort of like a seasoned frying pan. If you choose to use the bore butter for storage. Make sure you clean it out before shooting. Over time it will bake in the barrel. I've always kept my muzzleloaders clean and never leave them dirty. I threw my tube of bore butter in the garbage can. I still haven't got this cleaned out yet. I've tried J&B abrasive paste, scorching hot soapy water, Pasload impulse nail gun cleaner, abrasive aluminum polish, butches bore shine and a few others. Nothing has worked

I just picked up a used bullet mold that was nasty cuz the owner said he kept it greased with bore butter then it got "worn out". I had to scrape it off with a good helping of acetone and a very light touch with a razor blade. Then i reblued it and it looks and works great. But that stuff was HARD. im not sure how much the acetone helped. I might try carb cleaner in a small spot to see if it works. Be careful with it tho.

I also have used Break Free CLP to lube all my rifles centerfire and muzzleloaders for years. I found Bore Butter doesn't perform for anything. Trashed all I had a few years ago.

When I started shooting BP, bore butter was all the rage. Most forums steered you away from using petroleum based oils. Mostly because the fouling was like tar and hard to clean. I bought into the "Natural lube" idea 100%. Bad news is BB does little to protect your rifle when stored. Every time I pulled my rifle out to shoot I had a thick film of rusty BB in the bore. Now I just clean it more like a modern cartridge rifle and have far fewer issues.

I still like to use BB for lubing bullets and patches. I used the stiff tub BB for Maxis and the softer tube BB for patches. I also use my own blend beeswax and tallow. It works really well for my 1858 Remington Revolver.

I use the CVA patches or a dry patch between shots, depends on whether I’m shooting loose or pellets. I will even go as far as using Butches Bore Shine after shooting several rounds of pellets, BBS is what I clean all my barrels with after shooting and I always use CLP as my protection in my barrels before putting the gun away.

Having a knight mountaineer and my brother has a t/c triumph,I have found a product called AWESOME,found in DOLLAR GENERAL STORES that is great for barrel and breech plug cleaning.Wipe on and wipe off.DONE

I only use Gunzilla on my muzzleloaders now. It’s a CLP and works very well. I ran across it 10 or 15 years ago at the Eastern Outdoor Sportsman Show in Harrisburg, Pa. It was created for the troops over in Iraq as they had a lot of issues with sand and dirt getting into their weapons and gumming things up. This stuff eliminates these issues and it has no petroleum products in it so I have found it to be very good for cleaning a muzzleloader.

Back