Wipe Rod etc.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpsman

Reaction score
In my view the best wipe rod available is this Delrin which is a soft/flexible nylon material which I believe to be mostly 'idiot proof' as far as not doing harm to the bore/crown area! 

https://www.flickr.com/gp/61286670@N08/0128n6

The other Delrin rod you can see crosswise on the bench is a solid black color and quite stiff! It is threaded 10-32 and I use it for ball seating and a cleaning jag. The white Delrin rod I use with a black .45 caliber plastic brush and I wrap a 3" patch around it just for wiping. When shooting here at home the regular ramrod stays in the rifle and saved for hunting use only.

Not all but too many fiberglass, plastic, coated, miracle rods hold abrasives like sand, grit etc. I don't think Delrin rods are available when I started so maybe they don't. Now almost only use SS range rod w muzzle guide for both loading and wiping.   Almost as I sometimes use one I made w solid 3/8 braze rod and number 10 antique pool ball but it reacts w fouling and gets your hands REAL dirty.  Mine are 8-32 with steel threads because all of my CF stuff was 8-32 when I got my first ML in '73 and some jags machined from one piece of brass will break at the thread/jag juncture.  I don't like whippy flippy flexible rods that are too limber to push a ball in a dirty barrel and one the end comes off when pulling a ball.  One rod cd 2-3 or ?
 TC

You know what Clint Eastwood says...........Nothing like a good piece of hickory.

I much prefer the plastic ( or what they are called lol) rods for cleaning. For tight loads, most of them suck, but for cleaning, I like the light weight rod.

Pissing in the barrel is traditional too but most of us don't.   I'll keep to SS and brass rods except for reloads when hunting.  I even carry one on trail walks.
TC

Nobody told you what to carry.

Personally, i'll use aluminum if I don't use wood.

Latest posts

Back