Wish we had a late season.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firestick

Reaction score
When I lived in MT we had a late season primitive weapons hunt in the drainage bottoms where the high population of people and whitetails existed. They allowed shotgun, bow and ML's and I believe straightwalled pistols of certain calibers. It was always fun going out on New Years day and fill a doe tag with my homemade .45cal front stuffer. I sure wish WY had these around here as it was some of the most fun I have ever had hunting. Always quiet and alone with calm game to hunt.

I wish the muzzleloader season was earlier in Minnesota. Ours is the first two weeks of December......usually well below zero temps and lots of snow. I don't even go. I hunt with the muzzleloader during the November rifle season. I know.....I'm a "wussy". 😄

Our muzzy season is the middle of Sept. Still way too hot for me. Even at 12,000ft. I think they did that so the elk muzzy season would be during the rut like archery season is. Deer kind of take a back seat to elk hunting in Colorado.

I hunt all the seasons exclusively with muzzleloaders. Back in Georgia there was no such thing as snow and hunting was always a balmy affair. Here in Maine we WILL have snow which will keep me in doors same as rain would. But I make no excuses; I have a tender body.

I do the same. If I hunt the rifle seasons i'll use the muzzy for them. No use for CF guns. I thought about getting one but that thought didn't last long. I feel the same way about scopes. If I can't get close enough for open sights. I don't deserve to take the shot.

I did buy a CVA wolf in blue black. It came with a scope but i'm not going to use it. I'll use the open sights, Swiss powder, and some kind of conical I haven't decided on yet. It's not traditional but my back can't handle the weight of a Hawken anymore. The Wolf is nice and light to shoulder and my back thanks me. Since they did have inlines in the 1800's I don't feel too bad with using one as long as I use black powder and some kind of traditional lead conical.

It's my old man setup. :)

Last edited:
To complete my old man setup i've decided on the No Excuses 420gr conical as a bullet. It's overkill for muleys but should be just right for elk and bear. Just in case I need to bust through a shoulder.

420gr bullets must wake you up a little from the recoil.......ouch. 😳

Yes, it will recoil more than I want. I ordered a PAST shoulder pad to help that out. I'd rather the recoil over wondering about the bullet when on the ground with a grumpy bear.

When I lived in MT we had a late season primitive weapons hunt in the drainage bottoms where the high population of people and whitetails existed. They allowed shotgun, bow and ML's and I believe straightwalled pistols of certain calibers. It was always fun going out on New Years day and fill a doe tag with my homemade .45cal front stuffer. I sure wish WY had these around here as it was some of the most fun I have ever had hunting. Always quiet and alone with calm game to hunt.
Whitetails can get very wary after they've been chased and shot at for a few months. Hunting during a very late, "special" or "extended" season into January can sometimes be challenging ( but very rewarding ) if hunting on public land.

Are you from Europe Falcon? I've seen an American put the day before the month.

Whitetails can get very wary after they've been chased and shot at for a few months. Hunting during a very late, "special" or "extended" season into January can sometimes be challenging ( but very rewarding ) if hunting on public land.
In Maine. our muzzle loader season is in the first week or two weeks(depending on the zone) of December. I love muzzle loader season! Less hunters out there, the big bucks are crazy horny, and we have a greater chance of having snow on the ground then, which makes tracking and dragging them out easier!

In CO and UT there's a January High Power Season (cartridge guns) we hunt this season with our muzzleloaders. Everyone thinks we are nuts. Most guys will hunt the earlier season because of the weather conditions and fighting the snow. It's more work with chaining up vehicles, wading snow to your waist, etc. I always like this season as the numbers of hunters are low and those that do go drive the roads. Have only seen a few that venture off the beaten track in 40 years. It's neat to huddle down behind a large rock with a small camp fire to toast your sandwiches and other edibles.

Alabama archery starts Oct 15-, Muzzleloader Nov. 18-22, regular gun Nov. 23- Feb. 10th. I usually take 3-4 a season, and will just use my .54 Hawken till I get the first one, than a CF for the rest. Even in Nov., in south Alabama, it can be hot enough you just don't want to go out, not uncommon for me to wait till after Thanksgiving to head to camp.

Alabama archery starts Oct 15-, Muzzleloader Nov. 18-22, regular gun Nov. 23- Feb. 10th. I usually take 3-4 a season, and will just use my .54 Hawken till I get the first one, than a CF for the rest. Even in Nov., in south Alabama, it can be hot enough you just don't want to go out, not uncommon for me to wait till after Thanksgiving to head to camp.

I was hunting with Jack Garner (TVM fame and several other firms throughout the years) and he showed be a ticket book for 25 animals (deer) he could take in Mississippi. That made me feel screwed with only a single permit. 😦

There isn't a muzzleloader only season for whitetail in the unit where I have property, so I just use black powder or my bow during the "any weapons" season they have. For the last several years I've only hunted with a bow or a sidelock. I think it's been at least two years since I even shot a CF. I also would enjoy more "short range weapons" seasons and wish they would make more of them.
I commonly get the same "you must be crazy" comments for using a sidelock or bow during CF season. I just respond that I get much more enjoyment and satisfaction using a short range weapon and having to rely on some woodsman's skills to fill the freezer. The common response is, "but what happens if you see a big buck just out of your range though?!". Antlers are all most think about these days and if they don't shoot a good buck the season is a failure in their mind.
The long range thing is wide open right now (I commonly hear folks bragging about filling their tag at 600+ yards these days) and will end up making the F&G have to change the seasons to combat it. I hope that means some short range season opportunities will be made, but not holding my breath.

Back