Wish we had a late season.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cmon, Jon. I eat all the meat too. A couple of deer would be nice but one elk is even better.

It looks their season starts Nov 18 and goes to Feb 10th. Add it up. 3 bucks and then they can take one doe a day for the whole season. Who needs that much meat?

Ah, hell. Why do I bother?

I don't know you tell me? lol You havent hunted in years so why are you judging what others do? If someone can shoot 3 bucks and then 1 doe a day for the whole season, that tells me the state is mostly private land and they need to clear out game. Most hunters are respectful and take only what they need. Sure would be nice to shoot more than 1 deer every 2-3 years.

So long as a hunter legally fills their tag(s), I never had an issue with someone taking multiple deer in one season. Legally taken deer contributes to wildlife management and conservation. I also know hunters who donate more than they could eat to homeless shelters and their gun clubs for game dinners.

I don't know you tell me? lol You havent hunted in years so why are you judging what others do? If someone can shoot 3 bucks and then 1 doe a day for the whole season, that tells me the state is mostly private land and they need to clear out game. Most hunters are respectful and take only what they need. Sure would be nice to shoot more than 1 deer every 2-3 years.

What a friend you are Jon. I haven't hunted in the last few years because of medical problems and you know that. I did hunt 55 for elk with a crossbow and bear in 481 with the same crossbow. However, what does that have to do with anything? I hunted for decades and long before you were born.

Because something is legal doesn't make it ethical. If someone hunts and donates the meat. They aren't hunting for meat for themselves and just amounts to killing.

Real hunters do fair chase. They don't sit in trees and kill every doe that comes into bait.

Once again you've shown your true colors as a friend with me Jon. What a spiteful person you are.

Now, you can delete this like you always do. I won't be reading any responses or PM's, so don't bother making any. I won't see them. I'm gone.

Keep in mind OldMtnMan that hunters who "end-up" donating game may simply enjoy the experience of the "hunt" itself...and often with no guarantee of success. We all have had our empty-freezer years... which often "balance-out" with bonanza hunting seasons. That's just the way it works-out over time.

Just because it is legal doesn't make it the right thing to do. I do not think O M M said ir did anything wrong. But some sure seem to peer keenly down their noses at him for his beliefs. I think he is closer to being on the right track than many of the hunters I know.

This part of Oklahoma is overrun with deer. Cull bucks are passing on their substandard genes in the form of deformed antlers and runts. Too many hunters won't shoot them. There are presently several cull bucks at our lease. One huge buck is at least 5.5 years old: Every year he has weird deformed antlers. That big buck has sired a bunch of cull bucks. Been after him for the past two seasons to no avail.

Old Mountain Man, I resent you calling Jon spiteful. He's the only friend you have. I've seen him send you black powder items for free and help you out on many problems you had. You always have a problem with anyone who calls you out when you're wrong. Get over it and get on with it!

What a friend you are Jon. I haven't hunted in the last few years because of medical problems and you know that. I did hunt 55 for elk with a crossbow and bear in 481 with the same crossbow. However, what does that have to do with anything? I hunted for decades and long before you were born.

Because something is legal doesn't make it ethical. If someone hunts and donates the meat. They aren't hunting for meat for themselves and just amounts to killing.

Real hunters do fair chase. They don't sit in trees and kill every doe that comes into bait.

Once again you've shown your true colors as a friend with me Jon. What a spiteful person you are.

Now, you can delete this like you always do. I won't be reading any responses or PM's, so don't bother making any. I won't see them. I'm gone.
You'll Be Back!

I'm way old enough to have my lifetime hunt/fish license here in Maine. I had a disabled one in My native Georgia and a lifetime license in Va. I was lucky enough to draw a doe tag so I can take a buck and a doe. Hunting is very difficult for me nowadays, but I really need to get out a little. We shall see.

In Georgia I got teased by friends a little about hunting only with muzzleloaders. But I usually did better than my friends with their super powered, long range rifles fitted with huge scopes. I only killed 2 deer at long range (for me) and that was in a very large hay field while hiding behind hay bales, both were something over 100 yards. Normally I'd hunt from both ladder stands and from ground blinds, about 50/50. I'd find a place with lots of deer traffic and set up there. I'm too old and decrepit to climb now, and besides, my wife would kill me if I merely dreamed about doing it. I've killed a few deer by walking up on them but in the thick Ga. woods it doesn't work as well as more open woodlands. So the usual shots end up being under 50 yds and averaging 25 to 30 yards. I've killed them with revolvers from about 7 feet to 90 yards. I can't see that well any longer.

The Ga. limit is 12 a season and only two can be bucks. Plus at least one of the bucks has to be 4pts to a side. I often killed as many as three deer in an hour. When I shot a deer I'd wait an hour to see what else came along. I let many walk since there were plenty others. I've killed as many as 9 a season. At least one went in my freezer. Many of my friends love venison but do not hunt. I would take their "orders" for deer processed the way they prefer. From time to time I donated to "Hunters for the Hungry"; nothing was wasted.

Coyotes were everywhere and bobcats were common. I killed a couple of cats with prb but only ever shot one coyote. Down there one simply didn't hunt without seeing those canine beasties. Still plenty of deer and turkey. also plenty of canebrake rattlers. One hunter near us died after he came down off his stand only to get bitten by one. His son & nephew came to his screams but he died before they got him out to the road and EMTs - that was less than 15 minutes. Very little truly cold weather there. In fact there are only 3 seasons: summer, Christmas and almost summer.

I have not shot a center fire in almost 35 yrs. of hunting. I did make a couple trips after prairie dogs a couple years ago but consider that a sport. Also shoot a few .22 competition matches at my local club once in awhile. All hunting, deer, turkey and squirrels were muzzleloading.
Things have really slowed up for me with my health problems but having them worked on!
I'm near Fulton MO ... you?
Big John

Sorry to hear of your health issues. I have slowed down, too, but am keeping on for now. I'm in Jefferson City.

We can't have two guys from Boncarbo if you aren't related to Jon.

edit...Never mind. I know who you are. I have nothing more to say.
Now this could be interesting Pete when you go off on another guy from Boncarbo Colorado (hell that's half the populations in the area). 😄 😁 :coffee: ...

Sorry to hear of your health issues. I have slowed down, too, but am keeping on for now. I'm in Jefferson City.

We're pretty close to one another. I use to come to Jeff and shoot in a Tuesday night league put on by Jim (Bacon Rind) Keefe at the United Sportsman Club.
Fun summer it was!
I am a charter member of Owl Creek Gun Club (1968) up near the community of Millersburg. We have a Old Codger day each Tuesday at the club but no one is interested in Muzzleloading shooting anymore. They shoot their centerfires and I shoot the bull with them.
I did sponsor a table shoot for muzzleloaders a couple of times but my health got the better of me and I didn't do it this year. Maybe we need to meet up and just hash over things!

Big John

Wow this thread went south. Off topic and slamming one for stating his thoughts. Maybe this isn't the place I thought it would be.:(

Wow this thread went south. Off topic and slamming one for stating his thoughts. Maybe this isn't the place I thought it would be.:(
Don't worry Firestick. Everyone will get back on topic eventually. Everyone has the right to state their opinion, however, name calling like "spiteful" because someone doesn't agree with you, just doesn't cut it.
Stick around, it always gets better.

We seem to ramble away from the "topic" but all it takes is to remind these guys what that original topic was. I have agree to "we need to watch the name calling", don't need hard feelings like seen in the past that Jonathan had to remove from here.

The topic line is: Wish we had a late season, has everyone expressed their thoughts, if so move on to another topic. Thank you folks.

The Southeastern states states are basically overrun with deer. Georgia is a perfect example. Many deer get "bagged" with automobiles and the Game and Fish folks almost beg hunters to harvest lots of does. I always tried to follow their wishes. 😎 🦌

Back