Wish we had a late season.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Missouri Department of Conservation continues to experiment with deer hunting seasons and limits with attempts to control chronic wasting disease, limit deer/automobile accidents, and introduce youngsters to deer hunting during special youth seasons. ML hunting has taken a back seat in many ways from when it was MLs only the third or fourth week in October. During the initial seasons you had to choose to hunt either the ML season or the rifle season as there were particular tags and you were limited to only one or the other season. Now the seasons are a lot more liberal, as are the choice of weapons to use.

I'll be hunting an early draw ML hunt in Missouri the last of October. During the November "rifle" season you may use any legal weapon, including MLs, but any deer taken must be tagged with a rifle tag. For many years I used my muzzle loader during this season as normally the rut is in full swing. Following that season there is a firearms antlerless season (does) that this year is the first full weekend in December, followed finally by the alternative weapons season from December 28 - January 7, which started out as the muzzle loading season that initially was held for 9 days the third or fourth week of October. This was my favorite time to ML hunt for deer in Missouri. By the end of the year and start of the new year, the weather doesn't always cooperate for this old man and I prefer sitting by the fire if its too cold or wet.

There isn't a muzzleloader only season for whitetail in the unit where I have property, so I just use black powder or my bow during the "any weapons" season they have. For the last several years I've only hunted with a bow or a sidelock. I think it's been at least two years since I even shot a CF. I also would enjoy more "short range weapons" seasons and wish they would make more of them.
I commonly get the same "you must be crazy" comments for using a sidelock or bow during CF season. I just respond that I get much more enjoyment and satisfaction using a short range weapon and having to rely on some woodsman's skills to fill the freezer. The common response is, "but what happens if you see a big buck just out of your range though?!". Antlers are all most think about these days and if they don't shoot a good buck the season is a failure in their mind.
The long range thing is wide open right now (I commonly hear folks bragging about filling their tag at 600+ yards these days) and will end up making the F&G have to change the seasons to combat it. I hope that means some short range season opportunities will be made, but not holding my breath.

Last edited by a moderator:
even though limited to 3 antlered bucks per season, we can take one un-antlered deer per day through the season. On our land, shots are pretty much limited to less than 50 yds. from the ladders in the woods until all the leaves fall (use a ML and 14" bbl .35 Rem Contender here) along the few power lines and food plots we have, the longest shot is about 125 yds.

3 bucks a season and a doe every day? I wouldn't enjoy a season like that. That's not hunting. It's killing. We get to hunt for one buck every 2-3 years.

even though limited to 3 antlered bucks per season, we can take one un-antlered deer per day through the season. On our land, shots are pretty much limited to less than 50 yds. from the ladders in the woods until all the leaves fall (use a ML and 14" bbl .35 Rem Contender here) along the few power lines and food plots we have, the longest shot is about 125 yds.
Nice Contenter! That .35 Rem. was always a favorite deer caliber for me.

3 bucks a season and a doe every day? I wouldn't enjoy a season like that. That's not hunting. It's killing. We get to hunt for one buck every 2-3 years.
well, you don't have to pull the trigger on any more than you need, and we have a large deer herd anyhow and plenty of land. Your limits are not my fault. With that, I really don't know anyone that takes more than 2 or 3 a season in the large number of camps within the adjacent counties.

This was my favorite time to ML hunt for deer in Missouri. By the end of the year and start of the new year, the weather doesn't always cooperate for this old man and I prefer sitting by the fire if its too cold or wet.

I have not shot a center fire in almost 35 yrs. of hunting. I did make a couple trips after prairie dogs a couple years ago but consider that a sport. Also shoot a few .22 competition matches at my local club once in awhile. All hunting, deer, turkey and squirrels were muzzleloading.
Things have really slowed up for me with my health problems but having them worked on!
I'm near Fulton MO ... you?
Big John

Several friends down south tell me they can legally sell their deer meat to diners, food chains, etc.

Last edited:
Several friends down south tell me they can legally sell their deer meat to diners, food chains, etc.
Down south is a big area, but here is the law from mine......

It is illegal in Alabama to sell any game bird or game animal or any part of the animal, except lawfully taken deer hides, deer hooves and squirrel skins, hides and tails. ... Exceptions also apply to certain animals classified as both game animal and furbearing animal.

I didn't judge anybody. I just stated what I like and dislike. If anything I judged myself for all to see.

What did you do?

Here in Maryland our early (antlered) muzzleloader season is next week, October 17th thru19th. Got my Renegade ready with some Swiss and big lead conicals.
Our late season is December 21st thru January 4th.

Here in Maryland our early (antlered) muzzleloader season is next week, October 17th thru19th. Got my Renegade ready with some Swiss and big lead conicals.
Our late season is December 21st thru January 4th.
Good luck next week, Jack. I'm looking forward to the start of Michigan's firearms seasons on Nov. 15. For the first time I'm going ML-only. Had drifted away from deer hunting for several years but now eager to re-start with a new weapon. Hunting is in the air...38 degrees and the leaves are blowin' this morning.

We can't have two guys from Boncarbo if you aren't related to Jon.

edit...Never mind. I know who you are. I have nothing more to say.

Last edited:
Can't say I believe shooting a pick up full of critters over the course of a season is what "game managers" had in mind when they set season bag limits. I desire a late season because of the reduced pressure it had making the outdoor and hunting "experience" more enjoyable. Like liberal bag limits it makes for greater opportunity to enjoy what I liked doing.

We can't have two guys from Boncarbo if you aren't related to Jon.

edit...Never mind. I know who you are. I have nothing more to say.
Sorry Pete. Just wanted you to know, with to large of a specific animal herd, they start inbreeding, then disiease sets in, the animals get smaller and sickly and they start to die off. Then there's the problem of competition for food in those areas and the possibility of starvation. Also, there's a lot more to sitting in a tree stand or blind that goes on. My stepson in the last 4 years has set up tree stands and blinds and has come up empty every year. Don't get your feelings hurt Pete, just saying. I enjoyed the hunt we had together in Bueny.

I understand conservation Stan. I'm all for it but kind of draw the line on letting the hunters do it all.

If someone wants to kill a bunch of deer that's fine for him/her. It's just something I could never do. What my dad taught me is pretty ingrained in me. I feel he still looks down on me and is pleased that i've stayed with what he taught me.

That's all I meant with my comments in this thread. We're all different.

If you eat the meat like we do, being able to harvester more than one deer a year is a blessing. 1 deer doesn't go very far when it comes to feeding a family.

Back