Wishful thinking!?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Vaccaro

Reaction score
After pondering all the variables involved in finding a bullet\powder\sabot combination to achieve accuracy in our guns it got me to thinking. Could they design a gun that does not require a sabot. Yes I know your all going to chime in with all lead bullets fed without a sabot. I'm a step further along with this thought.

I don't have all the issues ironed out in my head but the basic idea is: A falling block type action. Primer and breech seal in the block, open the action, drop bullet into the freebore section, drop 3 pellets behind it, close the action and shoot.

Just a little off the wall thinking I realize, and many design issues\hurdles to jump, but still a thought.

Just think, no ram rod, no sabot, possible better bullet to rifling engagement. Why not, centerfire rifles are built to fall within a standard so to speak, X amout of freebore jump etc allowing the use of diff manufacturers ammo.

Any takers? : )
Henry

I have thought that also except I do not know if it would be considered a muzzleloader anymore. Some are shooting muzzleloaders with specific bullets that match the bore size so centerfire bullets can just be pushed down the muzzle. Tolerances just have to be perfect or it does not work however.

That idea I'm sure could work effectively but it's not a muzzle loader. It wouldn't be legal for muzzle loader season in most state.

Good idea but it has already been done years ago. The first Sharps just before the cartridge guns were exactly what you describe except that instead of pellets they used a paper cartridge with the bullet in the end of the paper tube, powder in the tube and when the action was shut it cut the end of the paper cartridge off so the primer from the nipple could fire the black powder. As stated it would not be a legal "muzzleloader" in most states. You can buy one of them from Sportsmans Guide in most of the catalogs that I get.

Latest posts

Back