Woodman arms Patriot initial impressions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot some bore riders yesterday afternoon it was around 100°,all three bullets I mentioned shot an inch and a quarter to an inch and a half I was not shooting a wad, as the sun started to go down I shot another group of 40 cal fury, again less than an inch,going to go back and shoot the same loads with the wad and see if it makes a difference perhaps that light blue Sabot in that 40 cal bullet are sealing just a little bit better than the bare bullet setting on top of the black horn,my plans are to shoot a 40 cal in a light blue Sabot I'm very happy with that for me for a walking gun it's perfect my ideal muzzleloader is a rifle with a scope that weighs around 7 lb capable of 300 yd accuracy and will run black horn or a mild smokeless load, this gun is sure heading in that direction

Just finished talking to Tim at Woodman Arms in regards to the possibility of a smoothbore version of the Patriot rifle. It seems that they have considered one, but it IS NOT in the works anytime in the near future.

The current frame will only accept a 20 gauge, 0.620" bore diameter barrel. And most American men will most likely demand a 12 gauge bore which would necessitate an entirely new action.

Woodman Arms is selling a lot of rifles, is moving into a larger facility, and as noted here on another thread is currently in the process of designing/bringing to market in 2021, a new bolt-action, lightweight, hunting rifle (approx. 7.5 lbs.).

I really like this company's way of thinking.

Just finished talking to Tim at Woodman Arms in regards to the possibility of a smoothbore version of the Patriot rifle. It seems that they have considered one, but it IS NOT in the works anytime in the near future.

The current frame will only accept a 20 gauge, 0.620" bore diameter barrel. And most American men will most likely demand a 12 gauge bore which would necessitate an entirely new action.

Woodman Arms is selling a lot of rifles, is moving into a larger facility, and as noted here on another thread is currently in the process of designing/bringing to market in 2021, a new bolt-action, lightweight, hunting rifle (approx. 7.5 lbs.).

Great post Bruce. I'm interested to see what kind of bolt ML they turn out. I hope they re think that rather un attractive buttstock they have, it just doesn't sit well with me.

Great post Bruce. I'm interested to see what kind of bolt ML they turn out. I hope they re think that rather un attractive buttstock they have, it just doesn't sit well with me.
Thats what mnt mnkey said til he shouldered it and loved it. But i think yer a bit taller than him, longer reach, i really wish i could put my hands on one here. Just to get a feel for it. It sounds like just my kind of ml.

I really like the gun I'm going to just shoot sabots out of it and 40 cal bullets and it's my stalking, walking rifle this coming year, looking forward to shooting the Brux barrel version that's on the way,I am going to experiment more with sabbats and different 40 cal bullets I've got some cutting edge bullets I haven't tried in it yet that I'm going to shoot just been so hot down here in Southeast Texas, slows your shooting sessions down a lot!! Woodman arms seems to be a company on the move, innovative,with an ear to the hunting muzzloaders needs,I wouldn't doubt if we see a lot of new guns from them the the years
ahead perhaps even some different stocks. I like my rifle

My first impression of the Patriot's stocks was not favorable. The odd shapes are not what I have become accustomed to think of as elegant.

But, like Mt. Monkey has stated, THEY FIT WELL, BETTER THAN THEY LOOK!!!!

There was a reason that 18th Century military flintlock muskets had palm swells on the forestocks. It was to help the soldier control the weapon when it was fired, and when using the bayonet in a massed charge.

I am sure that there is a method to Woodman Arms madness as regards to the stock design of the Patriot rifle.

I will reserve judgement until I actually handle one.

About a year ago we added a "traditional" butt stock to the Patriot. Mainly to accommodate the peep sight shooters. It does not have the curve of the original stock.

Bruce, I've about completed another break action design which features and external hammer. It is larger and able to accommodate a 12 gauge. It is in my plans to offers these standard. I don't see these coming to life this year as I am trying to get other things done first. I have made 20 gauge barrels for the Patriot but haven't moved to production on them yet. We kept the same outside contour, so you can imagine how light the gun is. On the flip side, it has increased recoil.

Bruce, I've about completed another break action design which features and external hammer. It is larger and able to accommodate a 12 gauge. It is in my plans to offers these standard. I don't see these coming to life this year as I am trying to get other things done first. I have made 20 gauge barrels for the Patriot but haven't moved to production on them yet. We kept the same outside contour, so you can imagine how light the gun is. On the flip side, it has increased recoil.

Mark,

I would be REAL INTERESTED (as in ready to purchase one early next year) in a 20 gauge, 0.620" bore diameter, smoothbore Patriot.

For me at 66 years old with osteoarthritis in both shoulders, it would set up as close as possible to a "ONE GUN DOES IT ALL" muzzleloader for me.

I would deal with the increased recoil by installing a Kick-eez Magnum recoil pad at a 13" length of pull. In addition, I would wear a Shock Eater, Wild Hare, Primer Mesh shooting vest with ambidextrous pockets containing 3/8" thick, shock absorbing, recoil pad inserts.

With a 0.620" diameter bore, one can utilize a variety of plastic wads from Ballistic Products designed for non-toxic shot. In addition, all manner of traditional wad set-ups with shot can also be used.

For any big game that I anticipate hunting; whitetail deer, black bear, feral hogs; a patched ball, wadded ball, or bare ball; shot out of a 20 bore smoothie, will be MORE THAN SUFFICIENT.

With an all up weight: Scoped, slung, and loaded of about 7.5 pounds; recoil with a 0.610" diameter patched ball weighing 340.26 grains will be reasonable.

Mt. Monkey

Does the breech plug on the Patriot have a removable vent liner, by any chance?

If not, is there to room to modify the plug so that a removable liner is possible?

Mt. Monkey

Does the breech plug on the Patriot have a removable vent liner, by any chance?

If not, is there to room to modify the plug so that a removable liner is possible?
The smokeless/high pressure plug does have a carbide liner. I believe I sent one to Mnt monkey. For lighter bullets, under 250 grain, with BH209, there is no need for it. The regular plug works great, never clogs and will go thousands and thousands of rounds without noticeable wear.

Max BH209 loads and a 200gr 45cal sabot only hits about 22kpsi. You probably cant burn enough BH209 to break 25kpsi with a sabot load. At least not until we get a newer sabot that can handle heavier/longer 40cals. Any well designed plug will last for ages. My NULA plug has around 1000 shots on it with quite a bit more peak pressure and its still in great shape. No vent liner needed. Its all in the quality of steel, nearly 100% seal and smaller flash channel volume.

When you jump up to a 300gr sabotless you are in the 26-27kpsi range with 120grV of BH209. Flash hole wear is much more evident and that is when bushing plugs realy show an improvement in life span. I would swear BH209 is more abrasive than some SML loads. Might just be the plugs used too but it sure can eat away at a flash hole fast once you cross a certain point.

Max BH209 loads and a 200gr 45cal sabot only hits about 22kpsi. You probably cant burn enough BH209 to break 25kpsi with a sabot load. At least not until we get a newer sabot that can handle heavier/longer 40cals. Any well designed plug will last for ages. My NULA plug has around 1000 shots on it with quite a bit more peak pressure and its still in great shape. No vent liner needed. Its all in the quality of steel, nearly 100% seal and smaller flash channel volume.

When you jump up to a 300gr sabotless you are in the 26-27kpsi range with 120grV of BH209. Flash hole wear is much more evident and that is when bushing plugs realy show an improvement in life span. I would swear BH209 is more abrasive than some SML loads. Might just be the plugs used too but it sure can eat away at a flash hole fast once you cross a certain point.
How about a 90-95 grain/Volume BH209 powder charge, an over powder wool wad, and a .50 caliber, 375-400 grain pure lead conical?

Back