Woodsman Hawken is Hog ready!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Got my Woodsman Hawken flintlock out to 75 yards today and used the ATV pulled sideways to shoot off the seat as my shooting sticks are packed away for the trip.

I used that nice upside down V between the bears legs ( yes, not a hog but still useable!) and squeezed off my first shot. LOVED IT! I figured out the pan charge perfectly and she fired quick.
IMG_6732.jpg

IMG_6733.jpg

I loaded up <a href='/tags/2' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #2'>#2</a> shot and let a little light shine through in that V and missed LOL. Its sighted in perfectly with the tip of the front sight.

Loaded <a href='/tags/3' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #3'>#3</a> and aimed at the other leg, center mass and cut it perfectly. That 3rd shot hurt as the seat bounced back the pans flash and hit me along the right side of my face. But hey, I took it like a pro and felt a huge relief at how she shoots.
IMG_6735.jpg

So any hog that comes within 75 yards of his flinter is a goner! If I do my part of course.

Yep, I am just using the natural curve of the target to pin point my shots. I am hog hunting, not 'bar hunting.

On a bear, the shot should be directly through the shoulder.

The best place to hit a hog is in the ear. However, they may not present that shot to you.

Falcon will show you the best place when he shoots the first one. :lol:

Yep, the rifle is shooting good.  On a broadside hog put the bullet just behind the crook in the front leg.  If he/she is close put it in the ear. 

Today leasemates Curtis, Nate and myself  visited the place.  Curtis and Nate saw two adult hogs at a game plot at about 3:45 p.m.

Back