Wool Wads for PP or GG Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to Idahoron for the video. How tight are the PP bullets in reference to the bore's diameter?

Thanks to Sam A. for the shooting, and the targets.

This is the kind of info I was hoping for.

Shamefully, no Elk in East Texas...

Only deer and pigs, but some of those pigs are monsters(think 450 lbs plus)...

Sam A.

There is a poster over on The Muzzleloading Forum who goes by Howie1968. He lives in Texas, and shoots A LOT OF HOGS, the last several years mostly with muzzleloaders. His last one posted was just a couple of days ago. Taken with a flintlock. 50 cal. shooting a bullet.

His avatar shows him over top of an impressively big pig.

I have not bothered to add up a years worth of his hog kills that he has posted there, but he has got to be taking 20, maybe more a year. I think he has got 7-8 this year already.

He says that he shoots most of them from a ground blind, in front of feeders, near dark, or in the dark. Using a red lens flashlight to enable him to take what are mostly pretty short range shots.

Check him out on the Traditional Muzzleloader Hunting section of the forum.

Another great read, with lots of good color pics, is Britsmoothy from over in the UK. I think he is a game keeper for several properties. He gets a lot of really big bunny rabbits and pheasant. He's got some original percussion S×S's. He does A LOT of his hunting with a smoothbore, .45 cal. DGW percussion longrifle, mostly WITH SHOT!!! Really cool, and a great shot!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Howie shoots big pigs. He lives not too far from me.
He hunts the Angelina river bottom, lots of hogs and deer!
I hunt the area around the Trinity river, just a few counties away from Howie.
I converse with Howie at every opportunity.

And Britsmoothy has some of the best hunting posts for small game around!
Love to read his adventures!
All should make a trip over to the sister forum and read the hunting adventures, there are many great stories!

Thanks for putting in a plug for the Muzzle Loading Forum, the sister forum to this one.

Sam A.

As an aside to this thread, I am going to call Bobby Hoyt on Monday to inquire about having this .50 caliber LRH barrel re-lined to a .45 caliber, fast twist barrel.

My reason for doing so is primarily one of recoil management. Idaholewis, Idahoron, and other's have extolled the virtues of the .45 caliber. Bullet mold selection is greater, and there is nothing east of the Mississippi river that a .45 caliber patched ball, or bullet won't kill.

My heart keeps telling me to shorten the barrel to 21" long for a Scout Rifle.

My brain keeps telling me, NO!

1.) Keep the barrel full length at 28".
2.) Convert it into a .45 caliber.
3.) Put a Kick-eez Magnum recoil pad on the stock with a 13" L.O.P.
4.) Have a 4140 CM steel, left-offset, low-profile, Weaver/Picatinny scope base fabricated, and installed. Base to have an integral, folding, ghost ring aperture rear sight (zeroed for 50 yds.).
5.) Put a rear-mounted 1-8×24mm riflescope with Q-D lever rings on the scope base.
6.) Add sling swivel studs, and a Galco RifleMann shooting sling.
7.) Do an Idaholewis single trigger lock tune-up.
8.) Black nitride all steel parts.
9.) Install hard coat black anodized solid aluminum ramrod with 10-32 female threads on both ends. One end with concave face to fit a patched ball. Opposite end with concave face to fit a flat meplat.
10.) Install white stripes with a tritium dot, chevron-shaped, AR-15, 8-36 threaded, front sight post (Blitzkrieg Components). Post to fit into a steel front sight base fabricated to fit the dovetail slot.
11.) CeraKote the stock (?)

Use the weight to mitigate the recoil so that your osteoarthritis affects your shooting as little as possible. Alternate shooting from the right side to the left side to allow each shoulder relief from the recoil (doctor's orders).

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy to hear from you! My hopes were high that you were lurking and would grace us with an appearance...

Always good to hear from you and Ron!

Welcome back!

Any new videos?

And your thoughts on the OPs quest?

Sam A.

One of the joys of a properly set up round ball rifle is that with the proper crown, ball diameter, patch material, and patch lube; a shooter can repeatedly load, fire, reload, fire.....over and over again.

WITHOUT ONCE HAVING TO RUN A PATCH DOWN THE BORE TO SWAB OUT FOULING.

The tight-fitting, well-lubricated patch that COMPLETELY fills the grooves will push each shots fouling down on top of the fresh powder charge. Leaving the bore above the patched ball virtually clean.

The key to this is a TOUGH patch material like a tightly-woven linen, or a cotton duck canvas.

For an entire days shooting, up to as many as 200 shots. The equivalent of two 100-shot woods walks.

I have been spoiled rotten, because all of my flintlock longrifle's (4) have been capable of this.

My trouble, and the reason for the title of this thread, is I now find myself with a percussion, Renegade Hunter rifle equipped with a GM, .50 caliber, LRH barrel.

I desire a lead bullet/combo that will allow me to shoot that 100-shot woods walk without swabbing.

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR M.O.A./ 2 M.O.A. ACCURACY AT 300-500m.

Idaholewis, and other's, have proven that these LRH barrel's are fully capable of this kind of accuracy. Perhaps, at some point in the future I might wish to explore long range shooting; but for the present I just want 2 M.O.A. accuracy, WITHOUT HAVING TO SWAB, out to 150m for hunting purposes.

Will a oversized-for-bore-diameter wool wad that is lightly greased with animal fat (Trapper's Mink Oil Tallow for instance) push the black powder fouling down onto the new powder charge in the same way that the tightly-fitting patched ball does?

So that a grease groove, or paper patched bullet can be easily seated upon the wool wad?

Thanks for your answers and help.

Bruce

My advice here if you choose to use a Paper Patch Bullet For Hunting is to do as Idahoron Does, The KEY To Ron’s Success in being able to Reload a Paper Jacketed Bullet Over n Over on a Fouled Bore without Swabbing is that he Uses Pyrodex P, Which leaves a Softer “GOO” Type of Fouling (Ron & I have discussed this Issue in the Past) I shoot Swiss Real Blackpowder EXCLUSIVELY in my Guns, There is NO WAY i Can push a Paper Jacketed Bullet Down a Swiss Fouled Bore WITHOUT Swabbing, it Will DESTROY The Paper Patch, I’ve been there, Tried that, and it Failed Miserably each time. Swiss leaves a DRY, ROUGH Fouling when Shooting Paper Patch Bullets since they are BONE DRY. This is 1 of my BIG HANGUPS on Paper Patch Bullets for Hunting, I MUCH MUCH Prefer a Grease Groove Bullet For Hunting.

Here is Something i found back when i was having the issue of Reloading a Paper Patch Bullet on a Swiss Real Blackpowder Fouled Bore WITHOUT Swabbing, This Guy is a Squirrel Hunter, What he Say’s here describes what i said above
8eOEoDal.jpg

Thanks to Idahoron for the video. How tight are the PP bullets in reference to the bore's diameter?

Thanks to Sam A. for the shooting, and the targets.

This is the kind of info I was hoping for.

My 45 cal bullets are slip fit. The bullets are .446 then I patch. After that I size at .446 I am sure that if I carried the gun muzzle down with bumps and stuff that the bullet might move off the charge after a while. When I carry the gun on my ATV I keep it with the muzzle on a slight up incline.

jtsVJrU.jpg

I have a sling on it and carry it muzzle up of over my shoulder . I do check it once in a while to make sure it is still there. So far I have never found it backed off.
But it could happen.

My son is carrying his 50 with my paper patched 500 S&W bullets. They are so tight that he can carry it muzzle down.

As an aside to this thread, I am going to call Bobby Hoyt on Monday to inquire about having this .50 caliber LRH barrel re-lined to a .45 caliber, fast twist barrel.

My reason for doing so is primarily one of recoil management. Idaholewis, Idahoron, and other's have extolled the virtues of the .45 caliber. Bullet mold selection is greater, and there is nothing east of the Mississippi river that a .45 caliber patched ball, or bullet won't kill.

My heart keeps telling me to shorten the barrel to 21" long for a Scout Rifle.

My brain keeps telling me, NO!

1.) Keep the barrel full length at 28".
2.) Convert it into a .45 caliber.
3.) Put a Kick-eez Magnum recoil pad on the stock with a 13" L.O.P.
4.) Have a 4140 CM steel, left-offset, low-profile, Weaver/Picatinny scope base fabricated, and installed. Base to have an integral, folding, ghost ring aperture rear sight (zeroed for 50 yds.).
5.) Put a rear-mounted 1-8×24mm riflescope with Q-D lever rings on the scope base.
6.) Add sling swivel studs, and a Galco RifleMann shooting sling.
7.) Do an Idaholewis single trigger lock tune-up.
8.) Black nitride all steel parts.
9.) Install hard coat black anodized solid aluminum ramrod with 10-32 female threads on both ends. One end with concave face to fit a patched ball. Opposite end with concave face to fit a flat meplat.
10.) Install white stripes with a tritium dot, chevron-shaped, AR-15, 8-36 threaded, front sight post (Blitzkrieg Components). Post to fit into a steel front sight base fabricated to fit the dovetail slot.
11.) CeraKote the stock (?)

Use the weight to mitigate the recoil so that your osteoarthritis affects your shooting as little as possible. Alternate shooting from the right side to the left side to allow each shoulder relief from the recoil (doctor's orders).
Bobs done several for me in 45 ,the last a GM 32in 50 and he relined it to a 45 /1-18 twist so I can shoot my PP .443 -530 gr Elliptical BACO mold .It goes in my Renegade stock I had installed a mercury tube in .Between that and the 1 in barrel I shoot 80gr of OE 2f all day/fridays around 60-65 rds @ our private 700 yd long range . With the venier it"s 8lb15oz/and scoped 10lbs3oz so the 45 hole does make for a heavier barrel and a Limbsaver shoulder pad makes for a nice day of makin smoke ,even for a 147lb light weight like me /Ed

Back