Working up a load for my Disc Extreme

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally have some range pics I’m not embarrassed to post.
Had the morning off so I got out to the range to see if I could zero my scope and work on some powder loads on my new to me Disc Extreme. Goal was to see what amount of powder my gun likes shooting a .44cal/240gr bullet. I am using up some Hornady XTPs with supplied sabots that I got with the gun. No idea how old they are but they load snug in my barrel. I use the Speer DC .44/240s for hunting, likely they will shoot pretty close to the XTPs.

On shot at 25yds to make sure on paper, rought adjust of the windage/elevation, another to make sure I’m roughly in the bull. Then out to 75yds. Worked powder loads of 80, 90 and 100gr of BH209. Primers were CCI 209Ms. I would rather use non magnum primers but I got a brick of the CCIs with the Disc Extreme so I’m gonna see if they work.
The results:

Pretty happy with the accuracy so far. Not a ton of difference between 80, 90 and 100 grains. The recoil difference is very noticeable. Would love to know the velocity differences. I should likely shoot more than three shot groups but will fine tune at 100yds eventually. Also shot the X7 a bit (top left). Was excited after the second shot but the curse of the third shot happened. A good day. Next time I’ll start at 100 yds and try some different bullet/sabot combinations.

Nice report Steve...I have the exact same gun/stock and shoot 90 gr. BH209 with the 300 gr XTPs. Seems to work very well. This load/bullet was actually recommended to me from the MM member that I bought it from. The first time I took it to the range it performed perfectly with this load so I saw no need to change it. I also have an X7 but haven't shot it yet. What load and bullet are you using on your X7?

smyrnagc said:
Nice report Steve...I have the exact same gun/stock and shoot 90 gr. BH209 with the 300 gr XTPs. Seems to work very well. This load/bullet was actually recommended to me from the MM member that I bought it from. The first time I took it to the range it performed perfectly with this load so I saw no need to change it. I also have an X7 but haven't shot it yet. What load and bullet are you using on your X7?

Out of the X7:

Hornady FPB 350 Grains with 90gr BH209
Speer .45 cal 300gr DCHP with 110gr BH209
Speer .44 cal 240gr Deep Curl Hollow Point (DCHP) with 110gr BH209
I use either Rem STS or CCI 209m primers.

Another nice thing about the Disc Extreme with the Lehigh plug is how friggin clean it shoots. Absolutely no blow back.

The primers on the right are CCI 209Ms - I shot 16 times without swabbing or messing with the breach plug. Everything was shiny inside the bolt area when I broke it down for cleaning.

The primers on the left are Rem STS' I shot out of my Omega X7. Think the breech plug may be getting old, on about the 6th or 7th bottle of BH209, shooting 110gr loads exclusively. Might need to ask one of you guys to mod it to take a ventliner.

Back