Working up a Moose/Deer/Bear combo!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluedevil

Reaction score
Good morning!

Hopefully I've posted this in the correct forum, if not Mods please feel free to move it.

I'm in the process of working up a Moose load for this fall. In the zone where I got drawn (either-sex tag) I will have an opportunity to hunt either-sex whitetail deer and black bear, though my primary goal is a Moose. My current set up consists of the following:

T/C Omega 28" (stainless)
Bushnell Elite 3200 2x7 scope
Barnes TE-Z 290gr
Blackhorn 209 (77gr weighed on an RCBS 10:10 scale)
Federal 209A shotshell primer

I do not have a chrony but hope to have one before the season starts in Oct. Basically just asking for everyone's experiences and opinions with this load or similar load. Thanks for reading!

My inclination is, if you use that load, you will end up with moose in your freezer. That particular load, i have never timed, but i will guess it is running about 1950 fps, at the muzzle.

That's basically my load for deer hunting. 110gr BH209 with a 290gr Barnes TMZ (basically the same bullet but I believe the TEZ is a flat base).

It packs a wallop on deer after looking at several wound channels on the deer I have taken. I feel it should make a great moose load but have no experience with that animal, maybe someday.

I have looked at several recovered bullets from animals and at the range, and I have never seen one loose its petal or fragment. They are tough bullets but seem to have good expansion at both low and high velocities.

If you place that bullet where it needs to go, you will put your animal on the ground. Don't forget to post your hunt on this forum, I love reading them. :D

Back