Sacrificing Accuracy for Velocity (Barnes TEZ)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluedevil

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've been able to take my new CVA Accura to the range a few times and found it likes the Barnes 290gr TEZ with 77gr (weighed) of Blackhorn 209 and the CCI 209M shotshell primer load combo.

If my season for Antlerless Moose, Mule Deer and White Tailed Deer started tomorrow this is what I'll be taking with me. However, since all three seasons overlap each other come Oct/Nov there is a chance I could encounter any of the three at any time.

I'd be interested in trying a max load of 84gr and see what kind of accuracy my load combo/rifle produces at the range. Anyone out there shoot a 290gr TEZ with 84gr of Blackhorn 209? I don't have a Chrony but potentially could get one before the season starts. Just curious if it would be worth sampling near max or max loads?

Your current load will no doubt do the trick. Those are great bullets. However since you still have time before your hunts start why not try and push it a little harder. Keep bumping it up till accuracy starts to fall off. May even find a load it likes better. May gain a little flatter tragectory.

03mossy said:
Your current load will no doubt do the trick. Those are great bullets. However since you still have time before your hunts start why not try and push it a little harder. Keep bumping it up till accuracy starts to fall off. May even find a load it likes better. May gain a little flatter tragectory.

I think that's my next goal is to keep working up a load and see where it takes me. Thanks for the input! :)

I ended up trying a few different loads in my TC Triumph with BH 209 and the T-EZ, and 84 shot better than 77 and 70. I chose the load based on the accuracy more than the speed. Took my elk at 186 yards with one shot, so it worked well enough. :yeah:

My backup MZ had a load of 73.5 as its most accurate, and I would not have hesitated to use it even though it was a bit slower.

Back