Working up some loads...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Dcp06441.jpg

I have been working up a good hunting load in my Green Mountain 1:28 Barrel. The barrel is in a T/C Renegade stock. It is open iron (not fiber optic) sights. I wanted to try a couple things, but mostly wanted something hard hitting and good for long distance during our muzzleloader season where magnified scopes are not allowed.

The two loads I tested show a lot of promise. I was shooting a 10mm 200 grain XTP with 120 grains of Pyrodex RS. The rifle actually was doing pretty good. I also shot some 460 grain .503 diameter conicals with 80 grains of Triple Se7en 2f powder. The conicals shot real well, but next order I want to get some .502 maybe even some .501 just to see how they do out of a number of different rifles.

Granted this was all done at 50 yards off a bench, but like I said, some of them show promise.

Dcp06437a.jpg

While my White Ultra Mag is an inline, it does not have a magnified scope. I wanted to try some 320 gr (actually 327 grain) R.E.A.L. conicals that I cast at home. I also shot some .5045 460 grain BullShop conicals.

I was shooting 80 grains of Swiss 3f powder. The down range thump of those conicals is amazing. I was shooting fist size granite rocks in the trap and would just explode. A lot of fun and at 50 yards something would have a real bad day getting smacked by any of these.

Do you see any or much improved accuracy with the 1:28 barrels vs the original 1:48?

Dave1

The 1:28 is a great sabot shooter. It likes Shockwaves a lot. I think they are better for everything but roundball.

Thanks for the reply and information.

My old TC Renegade with the 1:48 shoots fair, but I would like to have better accuracy and grouping at longer range for my deer hunting purposes so I was debating whether to put money into a new barrel/scope arrangement for this gun or start over with a new inline or similar.

I don't know the cost of a new Green Mountain or other brand replacement 1:28 barrel but I suspect when I compare the cost of the upgrade, a new mid-priced inline gun will be very attractive and much more likely to provide a significant improvement in accuracy.

Still thinking......

Dave1

The best prices right now on them is around $179.00 for a Green Mountain Barrel and that is through track of the wolf. About a year ago, Green Mountain was selling off their Stainless Steel barrels in 1:28 for $129.00 or two for them for $199.00 so I bought two of them then sold one of that a few months later.

They are a great sabot shooter and will shoot conical well too. Although for a little more you could be in a middle of the road inline rifle for the same price. Plus I had to make some alterations to the barrel to make them fit in my Renegade. Nothing major mind you, just trim the thimble rib, but still many of them are not a drop in and go barrel.

I also have some of their 1"70 twist in .50, .54, and .58 and I bought one of their smoothbore .62 calibers. All of them are great barrels..

Latest posts

Back