World-record bass ? maybe ? pulled from Lake Dixon

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those Southern California lakes that have Largemouth Bass populations, with weekly stocking of rainbow trout in the winter months can grow some HUGE bass! I used to shoot at a range that was within a couple of miles of Lake Dixon. It looks like the fish came from deep water 'cause of the bulged eye and swollen stomach, although it's spawning time in those lakes now and it could be a female that's loaded with eggs. Deep fishing live crawfish is popular, as is tossing large trout colored swim baits.

He's caught that same fish before, and this time it was foul hooked. It wouldn't qualify for a record because of the hook placement, so why not put it back in and try for it again - if it was legally hooked, he'd be a millioniare now!

Guys will deep fish crawfish all day long without a bite, but usually the ones that do bite are monsters. They also stock the lake with Blue Catfish, and in Southern Ca they've been caught over 80#.

These reservoirs are the cities water supplies, and many of them forbid "human contact" with the water, which includes float tube fishing with waders on - go figure :? . There is usually no night fishing, and no fishing close to the dam. Shore fishing is difficult, so if you don't have the $$ for a boat and $$ to pay the entry/launch fees, you're outta luck.

No matter how you look at it, it's a bass of a lifetime!

Blue-Dot-37.5

Scott are there stripers in those lakes? I wonder if they would grow huge there too. You are right though about the million. I once read in a magazine an article that maintained the guy/gal who caught the next world record largemouth would make a million dollars if they were simple and that a smart person could reasonably be expected to be able to turn the notoriety into 10 million.

Great Fish! Hats off to Mac Weakley for his honesty and for returning the fish to the water!!

Dixon Lake will probably look like one huge marina this spring and summer!

Rman, some of the lakes do have stripers (Havasau comes to mind) but most do not. Out there the water will fluctuate even more than 'coon.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Latest posts

Back