Would I Buy The New Knight Disc Extreme?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was in Scheels Sporting Store located in Des Moines, IA this evening looking for rings that would fit my 1/2" Weaver Bases ( Could not find them. Any Ideas? ).

This store has the most impressive MZ display I've ever seen. All varieties of guns and all the goodies to go along. I swung around the end cap and they had 3 of the new Knights on display. One was a Little Horn and two Extremes. The TH was $549 and the standard stock was $499. I would really like to see Knight come back and was thinking, if was new to the sport and was looking for a gun, would I pick the Knight?

I could buy an SS / laminate Omega for about the same price. It looked nice but was a little short for me. The Encore looked good but it was an extra $250. A Triumph was in the price range but with the trigger lock on you couldn't really get a feel for them. The Accura and Optima were really light which turned me off, although they were less expensive. The Traditions Vortex would give it a run as I like the feel and look of the gun.

I never talked to a saleman but he would have had some influence. The whole plastic jacket could be a turnoff and cleaning the bolt would be a hassle vs a QRBP. However, the new stock is cool and they did feel real solid. Also, the ramrod was nice. A little thing but it helps with the quality perception.

I probably would have bought the used but like new condition Omega z5 TH for $250. Perhaps offered a little less. I am a tightwad by the way.

I hope they go like gang busters. Time will tell.

The Knight is a way better rifle! The full plastic red jacket is easy to use in the woods. Lot easier to put them in than a 209 primer when your hands are real cold. Triggers are way better on the Knight Disc extreme. Cleaning the bolt is not a hassele. It is easy to do once you get the hang of it. It takes so little time, once you get the hang of it, you will find you are done before you realize you started. Lots of guys buy cheaper rifles, but only Knight gives you the quality of a Knight.

josmund999,

I too have thought about it from a 'newbie to the sport' perspective and I too am a tightwad. But what I have observed is that most are not and have no problem throwing down $500 or so on a new ML. So I don't think cost is an issue. The previous Knights were top notch quality and the new ones that I've seen are even better. I don't think they will hold the top share of the market, but I think they'll do just fine.

And for what it's worth, I don't need anymore MLs. I don't even know what I'd do with another one... but that Mountaineer is VERY tempting :wink:

And for what it's worth, I don't need anymore MLs. I don't even know what I'd do with another one... but that Mountaineer is VERY tempting :wink:[/quote]

Nothing wrong with doing an upgrade!

I think it's all a matter of personal preference. i own a Blue/black triumph and there extremely accurate. the new upper end CVA's are seem to be very accurate. if a person wants a quality rifle that will shoot ann kind of bullet saboted& full bore conicals. icluding pure lead, then a Knight is the one to buy. if a person wants nothing more than to shoot saboted bullets,the T/C rifles and even the CVA's are hard to beat.

Someone new to the sport usually doesn't know the difference between a el-cheapo gun and a quality muzzleloader. .They usually look at the price and go with whatever the salesman decides to push. After a person learns and shoots awhile then he begins to understand the differences., some subtle some major. At that point he is willing to spend more to get a better gun. So to answer the question, I don't think very many newbies will be buying Knights unless they have a knowledeable friend. But sooner or later if they like blackpowder they will consider the new line of Knights.
Once that happens they wont look at price first but features, performance and reputation. Just my opinion of course.

The old Knights were strong well built weapons but if they don't come out with a drop block or good break action I won't buy another one. A bolt action on a muzzle loader does not give it added strength like it does on a cartridge gun and it adds to the delay in reloading and takes up space that could be barrel length. I had one and they are fine guns but bolt actions on a muzzle loader does not seem very efficient to me and I have never seen one that could out shoot my Triumph or my Endeavor so I consider the monkey buiness about them shooting better than other guns a fairy tale.

Actually since inline muzzleloading seems to be moving towards actions that lock tight enough to effectively seal the breech. Given that 209 primers are the ignition source of choice these days; a bolt does offer an advantage. The caming action of the bolt is more effective that break open design at sealing 209's.

Also, if breakopen rifles had any accuracy advantage we would see them in the various accuracy disciplines like benchrest, nation match course, etc. The fact is that bolt action firearms offer the most accuracy potential. I don't know if we can truly realize this advantage in shooting muzzleloaded, plastic wrapped (sabots) projectiles.

But specifically regarding Knight, they are quality, safe, accurate, firearms. The same can be said of TC. And the icing on the cake is that they are made in America :applause: (dito for TC). For the 18 years I have been shooting inlines, I have been asked numerous times what rifle to buy. Without fail I have always suggested Knight or TC for the reasons above. The rest of them are imported :puke: , some were cheap crap with substandard steel.

Dutch said:
Actually since inline muzzleloading seems to be moving towards actions that lock tight enough to effectively seal the breech. Given that 209 primers are the ignition source of choice these days; a bolt does offer an advantage. The caming action of the bolt is more effective that break open design at sealing 209's.

Also, if breakopen rifles had any accuracy advantage we would see them in the various accuracy disciplines like benchrest, nation match course, etc. The fact is that bolt action firearms offer the most accuracy potential. I don't know if we can truly realize this advantage in shooting muzzleloaded, plastic wrapped (sabots) projectiles.

But specifically regarding Knight, they are quality, safe, accurate, firearms. The same can be said of TC. And the icing on the cake is that they are made in America :applause: (dito for TC). For the 18 years I have been shooting inlines, I have been asked numerous times what rifle to buy. Without fail I have always suggested Knight or TC for the reasons above. The rest of them are imported :puke: , some were cheap crap with substandard steel.

Exactly...

Some foreign makers have never strayed into cheap steel. As far as the others go, maybe they can find a really good barrel supplier from China or North Korea. Then they could offer a rifle for $95 each. What a bargain that would be.

Rogo, keep buying foreign if it makes you happy.

Yes i would buy a Knight Extreme if they made a faster twist 45cal or 54cal. I don't need another 50cal and every one is a bolt type. It may not be the best suited to keep the gun short but what design has won every Manufactures Cup at Friendship and taken the most trophies in that event since at least 2000......A bolt action style or a plunger gun.

But i would sure love to have a Ruger #1 in a ML. :D

They can be build a light and fast handling bolt action even with a full length barrel. My NULA is proof of that. Under 7lbs totally ready to hunt with a scope. My GMB54 weighs just a little more and with a 20" barrel i don't feel even slightly under gunned for 150 yard shots.

IMO the GMB54-120 was the best MSRP value that was ever offered. Only $425 shipped and included a cheap hard case. It actually has out shot all my Knights by a small margin. :p

sbuff said:
Made in the USA goes a long way in my book.

Steve

Same here but they better build a quality product and offer good service. I will pay the extra to help keep Americans working above minimum wage.

With what GM54 said. TC and or Knight is Made in the USA ,good customer service and a great product. You can't go wrong with either one.

Steve

I am guilty of buying mostly foreign made powders though. :p What can i say....they are great powders. :wink:

Even my real BP is Swiss. :lol:

Fellas,

Hold on here. I didn't mean to start an argument on which is the best. We all have our opinions and different options fit the needs of different hunters / shooters.

I was looking at this a a newbie walking into Scheels and sizing up the options.

For the record I have several TC's including the Omega and an Elite and an Extreme. Love them all! However, what would I have chosen last night if I had MZ tag in my pocket, land to hunt and a couple of months to get ready?

Back