Would like opinion on savage stocks...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avery

Reaction score
Can you guys , and gals for that matter, give me your opinion on what kind of stock you prefer , Synthetic / laminate / etc... , I am looking at the Savage but see quite a difference in price because of the stock material. What am I going to get for the money????

Thanks in advance...

Avery

I can only speak to the plastic, nicknamed "tupperware". I shot MOA or better with mine even though the stock is extremely flimsy! I picked up a Duramaxx from B&C, haven't shot with it yet but I am getting ready! Both stocks will remain stock unless work needs to be done... which the Savage tupperware stock did not need it.

I have a factory laminate stock and a custom wood stock. I generally like wood with my ML. It is heavier but I shoot from a permanent stand so the weight and weather do not bother me or it. I have an after market glass stock that I use on occasion for bench work for the ML also. Overall I like the feel and look of wood.

The Savage is a good choice. For more money, you will get wood and what seems like a couple pounds more weight. Either will shoot quite well, so it really comes down to your preference. There is also a factory thumb-hole wood stock.

Welcome aboard the board.
Cob

I have the tupperwear stock by choice. It is not effected by moisture, is durable and provides all that is necessary for hunting accuracy. If it gets scratched or dinged there is no remorse or need for refinishing. Certainly wood would win in a beauty contest but in a contest of practical purposes I think wood would take second place. I may even start filing notches on my stock to record various kills.

I have factory lam stock, plastic factory stock, and custom stock on 10-ML2s. Some well bedded, 3rd pillared, and one completely stock plastic blued rifle. Accuracy of the cheapest model, unaltered is extremely good. They all work well IMO.

I don't like the plastic one, but it does shoot fine. Just be aware it is sensitive to changes in your hold/ pressure on different points.
Needs to be stiffer.

I like my laminate at it is much stiffer and not as sensitive.

I have owned both, and much prefer the laminate, even though it is significantly heavier.

I agree with Ozarks comments for all the same reasons :wink:

I have the black synthetic stock and my Dad just got one with the laminate stock. If I could do it over again I would get the laminate wood stock. Its stiffer, looks better, and just makes the entire outfit look good. If you go out and buy the laminate stock and don't like it, send me a PM I think we could work out a trade/exchange.

After 2 tupperware stocks,no thank you.Laminate wins hands down.It is much stiffer than the tupperware.I had issues with the tupperware stocks sitting cockeyed everytime the gun was taken apart.You had to mess around with them to get them to the point that the stock channel was not touching one side or the other of the barrel.Your grip was critical as Rifleman said.There are other alternatives in after market stocks.Kevin Rayhill offers a very nice and relatively inexpensive alternative.

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/stocks ... tml#ramrod

Back