Yes I Get Excited!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshot1

Reaction score
Been looking for a place close to home to catch Channel Catfish and Redhorse Suckers. Have a place by the house can catch some Redhorse Suckers but there is Trout there so it can get crowded.

Went found a river I knew had Redhorse Suckers but wasn't sure on Channel Catfish. Found a empty Chicken Liver container, figure there has to be Channel Catfish there.

My wife said she knows some people that live close by. So she calls them we go by for a visit. Asked them about the fishing. The Guy tells me several holes right there that I could get to with my Little Jon Boat and assured me there was plenty fish.

Being weekend I figure there will be too many people there so I'm waiting until first of the week. Told my wife I must be getting old being so excited over a New Fishing Hole. She says no you've always been that way. :D

oneshot

I've fished for channel cat's in the Susquehanna River, PA.  Scariest moment was getting swept in the current with my 12-foot, flat-bottom Jon boat with only a 5 H.P. outboard.  Be careful in rivers oneshot 1.

Marty said:
I've fished for channel cat's in the Susquehanna River, PA.  Scariest moment was getting swept in the current with my 12-foot, flat-bottom Jon boat with only a 5 H.P. outboard.  Be careful in rivers oneshot 1.
This Guy has a 12 foot Jon. I told him he has a much bigger set that I have.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ3axwkYJM4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ3axwkYJM4[/url]

I've done some crazy things with mine but this Hole I found is really a creek, 4 foot deep, got about 200 yards to a riffle that looks good.

There is a Bridge talked to a First Responder said people get drunk and take the 25 foot jump off that Bridge, break many bones.

The river by the House I have took my 12 foot on it but lots of Guys take 16 foot Jons with Jet Drive.

oneshot

oneshot 1 said:
Well went over today and fished the New Hole. Nothing!

oneshot
Well, at least you got out.  I'm still repairing my boat trailer.  My new hitch should be delivered sometime this week. :bounce:

Well sold my Boats so I'm bank fishing. I catch plenty from the bank but I always have to wonder if I was there. LOL

oneshot

oneshot 1 said:
Been looking for a place close to home to catch Channel Catfish and Redhorse Suckers. Have a place by the house can catch some Redhorse Suckers but there is Trout there so it can get crowded.

Went found a river I knew had Redhorse Suckers but wasn't sure on Channel Catfish. Found a empty Chicken Liver container, figure there has to be Channel Catfish there.
oneshot
When I was in college in Ill., there was no fishing worth a damn just bullheads and suckers. My buddy talked me into going sucker fishing. We went to a muddy creek and caught about 2 dozen. He asked if I wanted some. I saw those nasty-looking boogers and 'graciously' said that he could have my share. He said they were mostly bones and he pickled them to dissolve the small bones.
I have yet to eat a sucker.

I used to fish for suckers but quit decades ago.

They are fun to catch but have so many bones a person could choke to death.

Carp are fit for fertilizer.

jeager106 said:
Carp are fit for fertilizer.
We had a new "sportsman" from Charleston, SC in our hunt club. He was a "surfer dude" who decided to become a redneck cracker. He didn't know squat about anything to do with hunting or fishing.
He heard some of us talking about catching redfish and wanted to try to catch one and eat it. Our club was 120 from the Gulf of Mexico on the Alabama river.  We were talking about catching redfish in freshwater tidal creeks in the Winter so he thought they were freshwater fish. I ran a trotline down at the river and "Lo and behold", I caught a "red fish" on it.

As a gesture of my generosity, I gave it to him to eat.

carpre10.jpg

Here Suckers some say is the Best fish you will ever eat and people Gig most the Winter for them.

Take Scale them, Fillet them, Score cutting 1/4 Inch from inside to the Skin, don't cut through the Skin, you will be cutting through the Y Bones. Take mix Cornmeal, Salt and Pepper (NO FLOUR) Roll Fillets in mix making sure to get Meal between each cut. Deep Fry in Hot Grease. Most we get are Red Horse and Hog Mollies.

https://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2014/09/fish-gigging-ozark-tradition

oneshot

Back