Yes or no to the Leica Geovid....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Oh boy...
I've been wanting a Leica Geovid 10x42 for I don't know HOW long! I really like the styling now and the weight isn't really much difference from my 10X42 Swarovskis. I KNOW that kind of money is a CRAPLOAD to drop on optics! Eliminating one piece in the pack would be nice and it would really be nice to glass AND range something at the same time..

They question is... Is it worth it? I could by the current best binoculars Ziess, Swarovski, or Leica has and still have change! Although six years old, my current 10X42 SLC Swarovskis are still, in my opinion, close to the front of the pack. Am I giving up optical quality to get the all-in-one package of the Geovids?

What are ya'lls thoughts? What would YOU do?

From the few opportunities I've had to use them, I must say that I was impressed with everything but the price tag. :yeah:

Chuck,
Push more meds, spend the dough, and make us all envious like usual. :lol:

Seriously.... I know exactly what you mean!! One less thing!
IMO the Geovids are just too pricey for me. I have the Bushnell 1500 Elite rangefinder and IMO it's absolutely the best! But, as you well know it's not a pair of binos either.

Question: Is the rangefinder on the Geovids that good? Do they have a brush mode that works well? That's the feature I feel is THE most important for someone like me who must range through trees and brush etc. They sound great as long as you are not giving up something in exchange for the privilage of having it ALL in one package.

Bushnell makes a pair for about $400
The Geovids are Big $$!
I know nothing of either, I'm just babbeling, Blah, blah, blah, somebody shoot me please... :lol: Sorry Chuck. :oops: (can you tell I've been thinkin' on this one as well?)

Ought'a be something in between. Right?

Now RW sold a pair of Bushnell Quests some time back if my memory serves me correctly. Randy? Your thoughts?

Spitpatch said:
Now RW sold a pair of Bushnell Quests some time back if my memory serves me correctly. Randy? Your thoughts?

No, did not sell them--- but won't highly recommend them, either. :cry:

I dont believe you are giving up optical quality with the Geovid. I have used them and think that they are great. Except for the price tag I think they are the best thing going for the rifle hunter since pecan pie/ You know how much I like pie, and pecan is my favorite, so I guess that makes my opinion pretty clear. If had 2k laying around that was not too busy I think that is exactly what I would buy.

I wouldnt get them Chuck. It's like you have already stated in other threads. Most of your shooting is under 100yds. The once or twice a year you go to Texas what you have will work great. Just buy another Rifle instead. :shock: :shock:

I spent a lot of time looking at the Geovids before buying my Ultravids. I didn't buy them mostly because of their weight and length. They DO use a different lens coating than the other Leica products due to incompatibility with the laser, and my understanding is that they aren't quite as high-speed with respect to image quality as the Ultravids or Zeiss Victory -- but man, I was sure impressed with them!

If I lived out West where the majority of my time was spent glassing pronghorns or even Mulies in semi-open terrain, I don't think I'd buy anything BUT the Geovids. I live in the South, however, and most of my shots are typical whitetail scenarios.

I'd compare the image quality with your SLC's. If they are as bright and clear, then I'd consider getting them. If not, then there is no way I'd give up brightness or image quality for the additional rangefinding option.

The GEOVIDS are in my dreams regularly!!! I want a pair so bad it makes me crazy!!!! I would love to drop one pc from around my neck an have 2 quality components in one...

I plan to have a pair some day.. ..

Super 91 has them..... How bout it Bob... ya like em ?

YES!

As I told you in the email, you just can't go wrong with them. It only hurts once and then its over. If you look good on the net you can find them for the same price as the swarovski 10x42 EL. I bought mine at Midsouthshootersupply for 1745.00 the ELS were 1779.00 Like I said eliminate the two optics around your neck and go for the one. You wont be sorry. To my eye opticly they are as good as my swarovski ELs were.

If you do get them, I STRONGLY recommend you check on eBay. I got my Ultravids new for $1345, and that's WAY below what most retailers sell them for. I've seen Geovids for fantastic prices, as well (relatively speaking, of course).

For that matter, I recommend all of you guys check eBay for scopes and binos. Much, MUCH better prices than from any of the online retailers, by and large.

I have been looking at Swarovski EL's for some time on ebay. I have of late seen "prices" that must be bogus. Buy now for $500, contact me immediately etc. Other than the price etc. how do you distinguish legitimate sellers, do not look at the feedback listing, I have found they used another's name etc. I have gotten notices from ebay themselves to watch out for the sites I emailed. Any suggestions, safeguards?

Stay away from any retailer that tells you to contact them outside eBay (via regular e-mail) in order to complete the transaction. Not saying their all bad, but unscrupulous individuals do this to get your e-mail for SPAM, and they advertise gear at absurd prices to lure you in. eBay warns you about this.

1) As long as the ad is for NEW gear and you can complete the transaction without leaving the confines of eBay, it's unlikely that you'll have problems. That's not to say that you can't contact them; most sellers of expensive gear will have a phone number or e-mail that you can use, and that's fine...it's the ones that won't complete the transaction without wanting some "nonstandard correspondance" that you need to be concerned about. I recommend staying away from international sellers, as you'll never successfully fight that if you get burned.

2) Use PayPal to pay...this protects you and the buyer. Of course, you'll have to jump through a couple of small hoops to get set up, but it only takes a few minutes. You can pay through PayPal with your credit card, and then you have further protection, as you can always call your credit card company and stop the transaction.

I did a quick check and found the Geovid for as low as $1649 new and several slightly used (dealer demo) models for prices all over the spectrum. I bought a Zeiss Conquest the other day for $370...more than a hundred bucks below retail prices.

Guess that was off-topic...sorry! Feel free to shoot me an e-mail of you have more questions.

If you do get them, I STRONGLY recommend you check on eBay.

Yeah...I've been buying on Ebay for eight years as well a gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com.. Some great buys and some no so good.

I've seen Geovids for fantastic prices, as well (relatively speaking, of course).

I have not seen Geovid 10X42s for that great of a price. I can't find anyone that beats Midsouth in fact.

I did a quick check and found the Geovid for as low as $1649 new

What's the link? I bet they are 8X42s...

Trust me guys...you are selling yourself short if you don't check eBay before you buy new hunting-related optics -- or anything else, for that matter.

Most of us assume that large, reputable on-line retailers will always have the best price because they MUST be competing closely with one another. Well, I've got a pair of Ultravids and a Zeiss Conquest that I saved HUNDREDS of dollars on over the very best on-line retailer out there. Try it for awhile, and you will become a convert.

Trust me guys...you are selling yourself short if you don't check eBay before you buy new hunting-related optics -- or anything else, for that matter.

Hello...hello? I USE ebay... NOTHING NEW HERE... I've been LOOKING at ebay for a WHILE for the Geovids... And when I search for "geovid" the link you posted(thanks btw) does NOT come up although several OTHERS do. I just tried "leica geovid" and it does in fact come up...

Upon reading on down for that Leica Geovid listing it FIRST says "NEW" plain as day in Item Specifics Item Condition. To me..NEW is well..NEW. BUT reading on down the person ad and the catch is clear:

Leica Certified Pre-Owned 10x42 Geovid BRF Waterproof & Fogproof Wide Angle Roof Prism Binocular (6.3-Degree Angle of View) with Laser Rangefinder [Gives Readings Only in YARDS]

Read for yourself...Geovid at Ebay

I sent a note to the seller to explain which is it..NEW or PRE-OWNED?

I'll let you know...

I sent a note to the seller to explain which is it..NEW or PRE-OWNED?

I'll let you know...

Well I DID get a quick reply and learned some new terminology in the process. The Leica Geovids aren't new OR pre-owned. :huh?:

These are new demos that we get directly from Leica. Leica refers to them as certified pre-owned as they are demos or salesmans samples. They come with a Leica USA 1 year warranty

Thank you & Happy Holidays
If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
212-753-5128

They are NEW DEMOS! :d'oh!:

Big 6x6

You can trust gr8ful Doug, give him a call at his shop (Cameraland) and he'll be more than straight up with you. I purchased a pair of Nikon refurbs that were better than advertised. (Doesn't hurt that they include the Nikon 25 yr warranty)

Lots of members over at 24hourcampfire.com buy stuff from him and he has signed on as a sponsor over there and regularly posts specials.

I haven't found anybody that beats his prices on Leica, Nikon, Zeiss or Pentax. Swaro actually pulled his dealer rights because he was selling their product too cheap.

take care,
Schmitty

Latest posts

Back