Yet another cleaning question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braden

Reaction score
After reading a few posts, I have a pretty good idea of how to clean a muzzleloader (at least I think that I do), but I still am unsure of a few things.

Here is what I know (or what I think I know):
To clean between shots, use a spit patch or a lightly lubed patch, then a dry patch.

To clean at the end of the season, clean thouroughly with soap and hot water, or whatever solution that you use. Make sure barrel is dry, run some dry patches, then lube with gun oil. Store barrel down.

THings that I do not know:
When you are ready to shoot again the next season, what do you do? Run a few dry patches through, or do you need to wash out the barrel again?

How do you clean at the end of the hunt (when you will use it the next week)? Do you do the same as the end of the year routine? Or just run a few patches with cleaner, then dry patch, then gun oil?

Thanks

Next Week

We unload by shooting at a target that is lit. I then do the wet patch/drypatch/light oil poatch . I use both sides etc. When I am ready to go again, I dry patch until dry , foul the barrel w/ a primer shot and then load and go. I know people who leave em' w/ a load in the barrel for a week or 10 days, but w/ wet season we have had I son't know if i like it.

Regardless of procedure....ALL moisture must be removed from the barrel BEFORE you oil as this will seal in any moisture left in the barrel.

I use alcohol patch followed by dry patches...let it stand for a few minutes so as to evaporate all moisture, THEN oil the barrel with Breakfree.

Braden first off let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum.

Here is what I know (or what I think I know):
To clean between shots, use a spit patch or a lightly lubed patch, then a dry patch.

To clean between shots I do not really suggest spit. It will work and does work. I just do not use it. If it is a inline rifle I use a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and car windshield washer fluid. Lightly dampen the patch and work that from muzzle to breech in short strokes. This will help you clean better and lessen the chance of the patch getting stuck in the barrel. I would never suggest using any kind of lube to clean the barrel. Some solvents also work well. The reason I use the 50/50 mix is it cleans, is cheap to make up, and drys faster then some other things. After you have the barrel swabbed then a couple dry patches and you should be ready to load again.

To clean at the end of the season, clean thoroughly with soap and hot water, or whatever solution that you use. Make sure barrel is dry, run some dry patches, then lube with gun oil. Store barrel down.

At the end of the season after you have cleaned the rifle well and make sure it is nice and dry, then lube the barrel with a oil patch. You do not have to store them barrel down although many do. Also, if your rifle uses a hammer striker spring system it is sometimes a good idea to remove the spring, breech plug, and hammer. Put all that in a plastic zip lock bag and then tie that bag to the trigger guard. That way you have all the stuff together and the spring is not under tension. Also it is easier to swab the barrel out.

THings that I do not know:
When you are ready to shoot again the next season, what do you do? Run a few dry patches through, or do you need to wash out the barrel again?

When your ready to shoot again, take a patch and dampen it with your bore swabbing solution. Swab the barrel just like you would out in the field. Then follow that by a few dry patches. If the rifle is assembled, push a dry patch to the bottom of the breech and pop a 209 primer through the breech plug. This will clean and clear the breech plug. When you pull that dry patch back out off the breech plug you can check it. It should be burned badly. That means the fire is coming through the plug and you are ready to load.

How do you clean at the end of the hunt (when you will use it the next week)? Do you do the same as the end of the year routine? Or just run a few patches with cleaner, then dry patch, then gun oil?

At the end of the day there are a few schools of thought. If you have hunted but not fired the weapon, you can leave it loaded. Many people do that with good results. I have never had good results doing that.

I personally do not do that. I fire mine off. I then take the swab solution and swab the barrel extra good clean of fowling. Then some dry patches and finally oil the barrel. I will some times break the rifle down and actually clean it like at the end of the year.

Remember the kind of powder you shoot also makes a difference. Some powders are more corrosive then other powders. Pyrodex RS is about the worst. Some of the powders like APP or Triple Se7en are a little more forgiving but still needs to be cleaned.

If you are shooting a traditional rifle, I swab the barrel with pure isopropyl alcohol. Also if you are going to leave the rifle loaded, be sure to be careful of the moisture forming in the barrel. Here is where I do store the rifle muzzle end down on a piece of cloth. That way any moisture that MIGHT form moves away from the powder charge. Also keep the temperature you store the rifle for the night is approximately the same as what you hunted in. Also be sure to mark the rifle and warn all around that the rifle is loaded.

I had bad experiences with misfires when I tried to store them over night. Others though have no problems at all. But when I load fresh in the morning I know that rifle is going to fire that day.

:lol: Ya what Dave said. BUT if you have an inline you can remove the BP and push the load out rather than shoot it off. I save the bullet and sabot for the next range session. That way you don't have a fowled rifle to clean and you can load it up in the morning.

:D Al

alleyyooper said:
:lol: Ya what Dave said. BUT if you have an inline you can remove the BP and push the load out rather than shoot it off. I save the bullet and sabot for the next range session. That way you don't have a fowled rifle to clean and you can load it up in the morning.

thats what i do as well but you end up pretty much cleaning the whole thing anyway cause the powder gets EVERYWHERE. (i push it out upside down but the threads get full pf powder) unless theres a way to prevent this that im not aware of.

03mossy said:
alleyyooper said:

thats what i do as well but you end up pretty much cleaning the whole thing anyway cause the powder gets EVERYWHERE. (i push it out upside down but the threads get full pf powder) unless theres a way to prevent this that im not aware of.

If using pellets there is not the mess as with loose powder. If I'm shooting loose then I just shoot it off like said above.

I have a tube that threads in place of the BP. I set the rifle butt on the floor and the tube inside an empty T7 jar and push the whole lot out. I reuse the powder and sabot at a range session.

Thanks for all of the input. It was exactly what I was asking for. As far as the isopropyl alcohol goes, is the 70% or the 91% better?

If you want to swab with pure alcohol then the 70% works just fine. When I mix it with windshield washer fluid I use the 91% stuff.

Here is a picture of the tube.

100_0403-copy.jpg

100_0402-copy.jpg

For swabbing the barrel between shots at the range I use a patch moistened with Windex with vinegar: This is the clear Windex. The moistened patch is followed by two dry patches. My Windex with vinegar is kept in a small pump spray bottle.

Before leaving the range the barrel is cleaned pretty good with a patch soaked in Windex with vinegar: No dry patches are used. By the time I get home to dis-assemble the gun, the Pyrodex fouling or the 777 crud will be totally dissolved.

At home the gun is taken apart, the Windex is swabbed from the bore: Then a patch wetted with ProTec is used to swab the bore followed by dry patches. If the gun is to be put away for more than a week the bore is oiled with Militec.

BTW: Windex with vinegar is great for cleaning breech plugs. Just spray it on and use a toothbrush to get the crud off. Takes about two minutes to clean the breech plug up. You can see the stuff fizzle as it eats up the crud.

Back