you tube video Muzzleloader Accuracy Using Aluminum Foil

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or you can choose the sabot that fits your bore best. :D

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... php?t=9798

sg1kyw.jpg

i think he was just trying to use the 50 box
of pre mades he had already paid for.

At the end of the video he shows the T/C SuperGlide 2 petal sabots and a box of Hornady 240gr XTP MAGs. The SuperGlides are one of the smallest OD sabots and the .452 240gr XTP MAGs have a very thick copper jacket compared to the 250gr XTP non mags.

I bet he did have problems in a .503 bore with a .500-501 loaded OD sabot.

One of the more common tricks for a loose bore is use a .457 or .458 bullet in a very "loose" sabot made for .452s. The Harvester Black Crushrib and a Remington .457 300gr HP should be a good fit in a .503 bore. Im not sure if they would work in the SG 2 petal sabots. That sabot is not very popular and i haven't used them in years.

Seeing this video reminds me of observations I've had with various bullet/sabot combinations. I have some bullets that will slide into the sabot very easy, if I turn the sabot upside down it will fall out. I have some bullets that will start to spread the petals and "hangs up" prior to bottoming out in the sabot . I've always thought the later, although much harder to load, forces the sabot walls into the grooves more than something that slides down easier.

I would think a tighter fitting, harder to load bullet/sabot combination would be more accurate than a loosey goosey one - I could be wrong.

Wonder if aluminum foil could be used in paper patching (aluminum patching) if a guy just sprayed some PAM on it. :lol:

Latest posts

Back