Your thoughts on the Nikon BDC scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choc-dog

Reaction score
Just curious how many of you have bought the Nickon BDC scope and your thoughts on the scope quality, use of dots(circles) etc.

Chocdog

Have one on my 209X50 Encore, came as a packaged deal with the barrel. Nice scope but I have 44 mm objectives on up on all the rest of my rifles and it has taken some getting used to stepping back in diameter. Also, the extended eye relief almost seems too much for me. I have heard that criticism before but I guess it is a personal preference. As far as the reticle, I don't find it cumbersome except for the fact I can't remember which dot is for what range. Solved that with a little chart on the stock. I have not shot any long distance with it but plan on doing that when the spring comes and things warm up. It does intrigue me to be able to reach way out with a muzzleloader but only after lots of practice to assure accuracy. Jut my .02.

BDC

Choc, I ised the BDC and love it. I like the eye releif and the circles are usble. If they were bigger i beleive people would compalin they take up too much scope. It is clear and i used it on a foggy morning, i was able to see into it fairly well. I use a scope to shoot with and range finder to view, I know a lot of people that view in the scope.
I have shot 150 yards and the marks work, once our weather get's okay up here I will go to the 300 yard range and put it through it's paces. The only thing is 3 pellets scope. I have to shoot 3 or 120 grains (roughly) to get it to perform according to Nikon. I will be trying othe loads to see if it works not using 3 pellets.

I have two Nikon scopes with the BDC reticle...a 4-12X40 Monarch on a .22 Hornet and a 3-9X40 Omega on a Knight LRH.. Nikon Monarch optics are right up there with the VX-III/Conquest...I like 'em a lot! The Omega..not really that far behind...a nice compactish scope with plenty of eye relief and really good optics.. I like the BDC reticle although not as much as I COULD...the heavy part of the duplex doesn't come far enough to the center and they could be even heavier..

Choc-Dog,

I have the Silver Nikon Omega BDC scope on my SS Pro-Hunter and really love it. The circles do work as advertised out to 250 yards once you sight in dead on at 100 yards. I have not shot anything other then pumpkins past 150 yards so far, but I think the optics are great as well as the 5-inch eye relief. I think for hunting the circles work great but it might take some getting use to for some. I also stuck SS Leupold QR bases and rings on my rig and it looks sharp. Even though I think it is over kill on most animals, I use the recommended 3-T7 pellets and a 250-grain Shockwave like the scope recommends. It is nice to know that if I have to, I can take a shot at those long ranges accurately. With the Flex-Tech stock, recoil is not too bad as you know since you have a Pro-Hunter also.

Curtis

Coh-1,

Speaking of Pro hunter recoil, I sighted in a buddy's Encore with a 30-06 24" sporter barrel on it several weeks ago and it nearly "beat" me to death. That gun would just absolutely jump off the bags due to no barrel weight up front. The weight of the pro hunter barrels has it's advantages.

Chocdog

Not to sound like a pumpkin poacher, but I have killed 7 deer in 2 years under 150 yards.

Curtis

Back