Youth Bow.. When and what to buy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpettit

Reaction score
Hey all, I have been bow hunting for a couple years and now my daughter is itching to hunt... She's 8! :cheers:  I would like to have her start as early as it is safe and feasible.  Does any have any experience with low draw weights like 10-25 lbs in hunting situation?  Can they even kill a deer?  If so anyone know of an inexpensive option.

Thanks,

Josh

Down here it's illegal to hunt with a bow that has a draw weight of less than ~45 lbs.  I had to get a crossbow permit due to shoulder injuries that didn't allow me to pull 45 lbs. without severe pain.

I'd suggest one of those kids' compound bows that are about 20 lbs. just to let her get used to the mechanics involve and the proper form necessary for good accuracy. Then get her a killing weight bow when she's able to handle one.

:D 

If the rules haven't changed, here in IL. your bow has to be no less then a 45# draw. Check with you DNR first before you buy. You wouldn't want to have a situation in the woods with a game warden that may have a bad effect on your season and leave your daughter with  bad thoughts on law enforcement.  
Try 3Rivers Archery.com.  They have lower draw weights. Can a 20# draw kill a deer. IMHO no but I'm sure there are some exceptions to the rule.
GOOD LUCK :!: 

Ray.........;)

Thanks guys. I think the place to start is my DNR. Also. She would hunt anything I let her. I say this year is out since it is upon us, but maybe I can get her started and have her ready in a couple years. And to tide her over we can hunt bushy tails with a 22 next year.

Crossbows are now legal in Indiana. Get her a good prop and a shot inside 25 yds and you may have something. Something to think aboutif you want her to hunt this year

Your State has a set minimum bow poundage for hunting. In Massachusetts its 40 lbs for deer.  I'd start her off with an adjustable poundage youth bow, knowing that it will need to be replaced as her draw length grows and she gets stronger.   I'm partial to one-cam compound bows.

Tony said:
Crossbows are now legal in Indiana. Get her a good prop and a shot inside 25 yds and you may have something. Something to think aboutif you want her to hunt this year
A lot of states are now allowing crossbows.  CT just started allowing crossbows.  MA only allows crossbows to be used by handicapped individuals.  I'd like to see MA allow them for all hunters.  Given my arm strength isn't able to handle the 73 pounds I once pulled, a crossbow would give me better range compared to the 60 lbs I now pull.

Marty
I'm not sure how many years ago you were pulling 73# or what bow you were using then? If it was more than 7-8 years and a run of the mill bow I bet you can find a new 60# bow that will give you nearly equal or possibly even better performance depending on the bow. Now days most inexpensive hunting bows IBO at 300 FPS or more.

MNL1963, you're absolutely right!  Todays high-tech bows would offer more " bang-for-my-draw " compared to my One-Cam Bear Superstrike. :lol:   It's all about $$$ though...I don't have that kind of money for something I want :bounce:  vs. things I need :| .

infinite-jumbo.jpg

I don't know her size or strength, but here is a bow that fits just about any size or strength level. It is super adjustable with draw weights from 5-70 pounds and draw lengths of 13-30 inches. All this from one bow means she would never outgrow it. 

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2013_Diamond_Infinite_Edge_Package/compound_bow_that_fits_everyone.htm

My wife has the Infinite Edge pictured and she really likes it. For the money it is a good bow.

I believe the minimum draw weight in the Hoosier state is 35 pounds. My friends girlfriend shoots at the minimum and has to take close shots and at only broadside or quartering away angles. Her bow is a Matthews and her setup requires her to be extremely aware of yardage as she has to use 2 pins to get to 25 yards and must be accurate to avoid bone. Ribs are not really a problem but much more stops the arrow. She uses muzzy broad heads and has taken 2 deer. 
On the bow side there a lot more great choices for youth archers that allow them to grow with the bow without havin to buy a new one every few years.  They are highly adjustable and offer good performance until the mid-late teen timeframe.  The one above is a good choice as well as the PSE, and Bear options. My 6 year old son will be getting one for Christmas but will have to wait to bow hunt deer but don't be afraid to turn her lose on squirrels or rabbits that come by while you are sitting together. Congrats for taking her hunting and introducing her to the outdoors and shooting.

This is not for deer hunting but I made my son a bow out of 3/4" PVC pipe and a para cord for a bow string. Less than 5 bucks and he loved it and it helped teach the basics. Arrows can be old or broken arrows of yours cut down, fletching didn't matter much. It is adjustable and has enough pop to make it fun ( would stick into the cheap foam targets at 5-10 yards).  Even the adults liked to shoot it. We spent more money on camo paint than making it but it was his!

Wow...I've never seen such an adjustable bow. :shock: 
:scratch:  I need to get up-to-speed on these things :|

They really have changed the landscape of youth bows. I can't wait to get my son his first real bow knowing he will be able to grow with it and we can shoot 3D together. These bows would have been great when I bought my wife a bow. She has T-Rex arms but can pull 70 pounds. I couldn't find a 24" draw bow that went above 50 pounds 10 years ago.

My friend let us borrow his son's Bear Apprentice 2. The draw is adjustable from 15"-27" poundage goes from 15-60 and 70% let off. Bow is fairly short and light. My son will be 7 in late December and is 48" tall. The bow was set at 20 pounds and 19". It was a little long on him but it can be changed without a press by moving an Allen head screw on each cam. Shooting 10 yards we were getting about 3 inches of penetration using field points in a cheap Walmart foam target. Arrows were way to heavy and long which kept the speed down. Cabela's sells the bow in a kit for $279. This is the first we have shot but I think it is a decent set-up and should last until mid teens or so. Here he is shooting. 
null_zpsdc925d11.jpg

Biddler2,

I'll be watching for your post with your son's first bow harvest :!: ;)

Latest posts

Back