yukon and blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old fart1

Reaction score
a few months ago a friend of mine bought a traditions yukon, he didn't like the short barrel and offered it to me for $100 and it was still in the box. today i finally got to shoot it, i bought some blackhorn 209, federal 209a primers, and 295 grain powerbelt hollow point. i'm shooting 1inch groups with 80grains of powder do yall think thats enough to deliver the energy to stop a whitetail? thanks

TWIST RATE IN AS TRADITIONS YUKON...

80 grains of BH209 is enough to take down any size whitetail out to 100 yards easy using that Powerbelt. If you're getting groups like that I would be hunting with that exact load in that smokegun as well. Great info!

I'm curious old fart, do you know what the barrel rifling twist rate is for that smoker :?:

Awesome groups out of that rifle. Yes, 80gr BH209 is a great charge, 200 yards wouldnt be a problem once you get to the range and figure out the drop.

the twist is 1 in 28", i bore sighted before i started shooting and it was on paper at 100yds. just about 6inches low and 3inches left, i adjusted and after i had a good hit i fired a 3 shot group one was cutting into another hole and the other was within an inch of it. thanks

Like Marty said that is for sure a sufficient load and a 1" group is pretty darn good.

Getting it for what you paid is a nice deal.

Back