yukon and blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old fart1

Reaction score
a few months ago a friend of mine bought a traditions yukon, he didn't like the short barrel and offered it to me for $100 and it was still in the box. today i finally got to shoot it, i bought some blackhorn 209, federal 209a primers, and 295 grain powerbelt hollow point. i'm shooting 1inch groups with 80grains of powder do yall think thats enough to deliver the energy to stop a whitetail? thanks

Hi old fart, welcome to the forum!

The Yukon from Traditions is a good rifle and a shooter. With the fine shooting combo you described above you'll bring down any biggame walking around in the USA. Nevertheless have a try with 100 grs and 120 grs and perhaps the PowerBelt copper AT bullets. They have a plastic tip and perform better downrange because of better aerodynamic.

Do you have pics from the rifle?

Regards

Kirrmeister

i'll get some pics tommorrow and post them, its the yukon with the nickle barrel and mossy oak stock.

here are the pics of my gun and the last target i shot at 100yds. it surprised me about the yukon, its only got a 24" barrel.
Picture010.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

i was tickled pink as they say :) this same rifle will not shoot 777 pellets and the 295 powerbelt. i could not get consistant groups, i was gonna try different bullets but a friend of mine who just tried blackhorn ask me to give it a try. well i'm sold its the best powder i've ever tried, and cleanup was a breeze.

Hi old fart!

Outstanding grouping and a nice rifle. Don't worry about the barrel lenght. Your grouping shows that it is certainly not to short. With this rifle you can bring down everything.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Wow old fart...super nice group at 100 yards :!: I wouldn't tinker with that load at all.

And yes, 80 grains of powder is plenty.

Back