The Bugs Get it Done

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last Fall I shot a deer which was nice but borderline for spending money. He was a dandy for the conditions ( sub zero all week ) with a real good story on the hunt.

So I put him in the rose garden for the Summer, I just pulled him out and those bugs did a number on him, The lower jaw and neck just fell away.

Yes they did! :applause: I've still got my 8 in the freezer, I keep forgetting about it. Time to bring it to the farm and let nature take its course.

Do you plan on bleaching it? Have you done it that way before and did the stains bleach out?

BuckDoeHunter said:
Yes they did! :applause: I've still got my 8 in the freezer, I keep forgetting about it. Time to bring it to the farm and let nature take its course.

Do you plan on bleaching it? Have you done it that way before and did the stains bleach out?

This is number 2 for me. The last one I didn't try to bleach it. I'm going to try hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle with help from the sun. it's supposed to work pretty good from what I've read.

That's a once in a lifetime kinda animal for me, well done!

I prefer meat in its original packaging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that to me is a great buck. I never knew you could bury them and get the muscle tissue off them like that. That is a really interesting bit of information. My friend throws them on the roof of his shed. If they are on the ground around here, the porcupine will find them and eat the antlers off them for the calcium. Although my friend has had Ravens drag some of the smaller sheds off the roof. And some were removed completely. Whether it was Ravens or eagles.. who knows. Could of even been small critters like martin or fisher.

cayuga said:
that to me is a great buck. I never knew you could bury them and get the muscle tissue off them like that. That is a really interesting bit of information. My friend throws them on the roof of his shed. If they are on the ground around here, the porcupine will find them and eat the antlers off them for the calcium. Although my friend has had Ravens drag some of the smaller sheds off the roof. And some were removed completely. Whether it was Ravens or eagles.. who knows. Could of even been small critters like martin or fisher.

Just to be clear, I had the horns covered and the cover secured to prevent the critters from mischief. I had one try to burrow in but he was discouraged by some dirt work on my part.

JPHunting said:
That's a once in a lifetime kinda animal for me, well done!

I prefer meat in its original packaging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's a good one. Too bad the right side was busted up or it would have been real nice. I'm blessed with a really good place to hunt. Deer of this caliber are fairly common.

Nice buck, I remember you posting that. He's a bruiser! :D

Here's a tip. Go get some Baquacil from a pool store, comes in a gallon for probably $10. Its a liquid non-chlorine substitute. I have a rectangle cheapo tupperware type container and I fill it up enough to just cover the skull, and let it sit for about 24hrs, it will whiten it big time.
With the staining you have, you may need to do it a couple times to get it how you like it. I've never had to do it more than once, but mine haven't been out in the dirt. You can also touch up the horns if you want to... some guys use permanone, some use wood stain. Just be careful to use VERY sparingly, if you go that route. I boil mine (well simmer is more accurate I guess), so the horns don't bleach out. I've only ever had to touch up the bases from the whitening, which I can do with a q-tip and stain. If I could post a picture easily, I'd show you some of mine. Haha

Post pics when your done!

WV Hunter said:
Nice buck, I remember you posting that. He's a bruiser! :D

Here's a tip. Go get some Baquacil from a pool store, comes in a gallon for probably $10. Its a liquid non-chlorine substitute. I have a rectangle cheapo tupperware type container and I fill it up enough to just cover the skull, and let it sit for about 24hrs, it will whiten it big time.
With the staining you have, you may need to do it a couple times to get it how you like it. I've never had to do it more than once, but mine haven't been out in the dirt. You can also touch up the horns if you want to... some guys use permanone, some use wood stain. Just be careful to use VERY sparingly, if you go that route. I boil mine (well simmer is more accurate I guess), so the horns don't bleach out. I've only ever had to touch up the bases from the whitening, which I can do with a q-tip and stain. If I could post a picture easily, I'd show you some of mine. Haha

Post pics when your done!

Thanks for the tip! When I took the photo it was still wet from the hose off. It's considerably lighter now but still needs work.

Dang... if you consider that just a good buck, I can't imagine what an awesome one would be for you. Here in NJ, that would be a huge buck. Congrats.

David

yoda4x4 said:
Dang... if you consider that just a good buck, I can't imagine what an awesome one would be for you. Here in NJ, that would be a huge buck. Congrats.

David

I was thinking the same thing.. I would have dropped that buck in a heart beat.

Back