update on primer issue ultra lite

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sagebrush

Reaction score
i got a new breech plug (bought one) and went out and shot it.things are back to normal so the breech plug was eroded out to far causing the loss in accuracy and primers getting stuck on the bolt. it looks like around 100 rounds is when things start going south.

does this also happen when using 777? or is it just with b209?

sagebrush said:
i got a new breech plug (bought one) and went out and shot it.things are back to normal so the breech plug was eroded out to far causing the loss in accuracy and primers getting stuck on the bolt. it looks like around 100 rounds is when things start going south.

I believe in your case you just got a softer vent liner.

BH does create much more physical heat than does T7 but the vent liner should be able to handle either one equally well.

sabotloader said:
sagebrush said:

BH does create much more physical heat than does T7 but the vent liner should be able to handle either one equally well.

What about my case? Two times i purchased a bare primer breech plug from Knight. One time i purchased a Mountaineer. All 3 breech plugs failed around 100 shots. None of the 3 had a 'soft' brazed vent liner. Removing these brazed vent liner was quite difficult; they were very very very hard, and dulled each tool i used to accomplish their removal. Re tapping the plugs for a new vent liner went well, and the replacement removable vent liners last as long as one thinks they should.

ronlaughlin said:
sabotloader said:
sagebrush said:

What about my case? Two times i purchased a bare primer breech plug from Knight. One time i purchased a Mountaineer. All 3 breech plugs failed around 100 shots. None of the 3 had a 'soft' brazed vent liner. Removing these brazed vent liner was quite difficult; they were very very very hard, and dulled each tool i used to accomplish their removal. Re tapping the plugs for a new vent liner went well, and the replacement removable vent liners last as long as one thinks they should.

And I do not know what to tell you Ron, you know I shoot vent liners all the time and yet I have not replaced any as of yet. I know one of my BP's has more than 500 shots through it, but it also one of the original Vent Liners.

Sabot loader I know that you can use either powder I want to know if T7 erodes the vent liner as does B209 . It seems that you use T7 all the time.

My call from knight can't remember is name but he said that 0.035 on the vent is normal dia. What ever? Anyway he said that he would see if they have one to send to me to see if that solves the problem.

I'm going too see if I can get the old one out

When I first heard they were going to braze the vent liners in I wondered about it causing an anneal on the vent liners.

sagebrush said:
Sabot loader I know that you can use either powder I want to know if T7 erodes the vent liner as does B209 . It seems that you use T7 all the time.

99% of my shooting is done with T7 - but I really do not have a good handle on whether BH causes erosion quicker... It kinda makes sense since it is so much hotter. But a lot of my friends use BH and really do not report accelerated erosion.

My call from knight can't remember is name but he said that 0.035 on the vent is normal dia.

It was probably Tanner that you got the call from - but I do not believe he is not correct... I know Dave try's very hard to hold them to 0.031

What ever? Anyway he said that he would see if they have one to send to me to see if that solves the problem.

When you get it - measure the vent hole - just for drill

I'm going too see if I can get the old one out
While it is a straight forward project - drill out and re-tap - it is not all that easy because of the possible hardness of the vent liner. You probably will have to use carbide cutters.

Lee 9 said:
When I first heard they were going to braze the vent liners in I wondered about it causing an anneal on the vent liners.

Lee, I know that was in the discussion and it was considered.

I only get about 150 shots out of a Lehigh removal vent liner using 120 gr of BH 209 in a .45 with a 200 gr bullet. I need to keep better records. I have not shot my .50 enough to determine.

Back