Allen inline build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got the barreled action in. This one is a true .36 bore with 1-14 twist ~.004 cut twist rifling 28" Oregon barrel, mounted on a Pete Allen inline action. Both straight 7/8 octagon.
The action came pretty close to what I expected.
DSC00462_zpsb03662e6.jpg

DSC00463_zps6bd7a2af.jpg

DSC00464_zps955a9f77.jpg

The underside of action with trigger removed
DSC00467_zps3b7803bc.jpg

DSC00468_zpsf82e8274.jpg

A hazy photo, but shows the plunger cocked and turned to the side, held by a roll pin out of its slot.
DSC00465_zps304a094b.jpg

And the crown, I went with the 7/8 straight barrel, but next time would be the tapered. My thought was Id probably have to make, or at least inlet the stock, so K.I.S.S. But it actually fits in my mountaineer stock pretty close.
DSC00470_zpsc9668aaa.jpg

Here it is compared to a Mountaineer, its very close. I couldnt completely seat the action because of the recoil lug, but the trigger looks about perfect, and the oct barrel reversed seats very close in the channel. It looks like the recoil lug screw would be about spot on for the front trigger guard screw.
DSC00473_zpsdb2d3990.jpg

Looks like I have some filing to do around the lug and some overall finishing. So.. I need a stock now..Im thinking an MK-85/bighorn/knight american, or a TC omega stock, some bondo and bedding/fibeglass/liquid plastic and a refinish. Anyone have a stock for sale?

So far so good.
Do you know the barrel material? Chrome moly or other?
Sights - are you thinking scope or open?
You'll find a stock soon..

I dont know the material, and im still deciding on finishes. I didnt have the barrel dovetailed for sights, I plan on scoping it. Im still not sure how there either (bases and rings, and exactly where) I may wait till I have it stocked to figure exact placement. And the stock I end up with may determine the finish. More than likely a blueing.

Looking real good squeeze! :yeah:

Do you think this will be a tad lighter then the .32?

What's with the roll pin to hold the plunger back? :huh?: Guess I could not tell what that was about.

ShawnT said:
Looking real good squeeze! :yeah:

Do you think this will be a tad lighter then the .32?

What's with the roll pin to hold the plunger back? :huh?: Guess I could not tell what that was about.

Shawn,

This Timney trigger does not have a built in safety, so that roll pin is it. Works on the same principal as the secondary safety on a White W-Series/M-98 rifle.

That Allen inline action has been around since 1969, IIRC? Well before Tony Knight or Doc White put out their first production rifles.

Good luck with your project Squeeze.

Busta,

Oh! I get it now. Thanks!

I did not know they had been around that long either. Learned something new today! 8)

this may end up just a bit lighter. thats the .32 mountaineer in the pic. I would go with the tapered barrel (even on this after seeing everything) and/or even turning the barrel down even more. maybe an octagon to round heavy taper just to eliminate as much weight as possible. I think its going to be easier than Id even hoped. I'd like to get this together and shoot it. but I have several ideas for uses on the action. I have some sabots and hornady xtp .312 in 85 and 100 grn ill probably use first. Then a knurled .357/.358 with a wad, or a paper patch .38 Theres a lot of good looking bullets to try.
Its hard to get a clear pic with my cheapo camera and dont really know how just like busta said, the roll pin only protrudes from one side on the plunger, it comes out of a hole top center, and can be turned anywhere but the hole (slot) to hold cock for priming etc
DSC00475_zpsc0c4c809.jpg

then, turned back into the slot, it recesses just a 1/16th or so, where it sits in fire mode.
DSC00477_zps3f7a5e17.jpg

Interesting. I assume you just leave it in safe mode, then when you get ready to shoot you rotate it into the slot to "take the safety off" ?

Could you put a trigger on it that has a more conventional safety, or is that pretty much your only option?

looks like timney makes several models with safety in basically the same configuration, but any would have to he altered a bit for this application. At this point im not worried about it. But it may be something to pursue for future use. I have the recoil lug filed smooth and barrel draw filed, just need some fine sanding. The barrel is a harder metal than the action. but it isnt chrome or stainless. I washed some filing off under the basement sink and it promptly rusted when I let it sit to dry. So I took it all apart for the cleaning it needed, but figured on waiting till after filing/sanding. I cant find a MK85/bighorn/american stock used, so found a MK85 boat paddle stock cheap. figured Ill use it and figure out the bugs while I look for something nicer. Plus the first attempt at alteration is usually a learning experience, and trial run. DNZ makes one version of flat base mount, but its a touch wider than the flats. I'm still thinking about going with it. and debating on buying a scope base jig and go DIY (I have a drill press and decent shop) or pay a smith...jig is ~$120, but a smith + gas round trip probably twice. and I see myself doing this again... :think: Ehh, it will never be beauty queen, but as long as it shoots well, I'm happy.

I got a stock on an auction site from a knight American. cheap and I figured good for a first try. I promptly started hacking into it by several means to try to get a fit.
DSC00478_zps4715bcad.jpg

Its starting to look a lot more like a gun now
DSC00482_zps248da15d.jpg

The trigger ends up just a bit high, but really doesnt feel too bad. next I need to fashion a pillar sleeve and drill it out, and bed the recoil lug and action. Im still figuring it out on the fly. bedding will be a bit tricky with the lug so close to the trigger. and the stock needs a lot of fill. I figure on several layers of tape down the barrel for clearance, then bed the length to tidy up the stock. (Im not too farmiliar with the Knight American, but the stock is pretty wavy) Ill probably fill the safety slot too.
DSC00483_zps56a9472d.jpg

I seriously considering just using the spray bedliner finish. Then bed the stock, fill the voids, and sand and refinish it in bedliner also.

then scope mounting and trials..

Looking good so far. :yeah: Can't wait to see how this one comes out.

I finally got it done. I used spray bedliner for the coating, both stock and gun. And topped with a Leupold rifleman 3-9. I threw this together on the cheap and fast as I could. most of the time was spent waiting for stuff to arrive in the mail. Bottoming tap for the scope mounts etc. I bought a jig and did everything I could myself. this one was a prototype, and I plan on upgrading/and or doing another. Now for some decent weather and maybe a bit of snow melt to start shooting.

DSC00485_zpsda67a841.jpg

DSC00486_zps90053875.jpg

Looking good squeeze! :yeah: I was just looking back up for the barrel length. Man I am surprised that is a 28" barrel in the stock. I would have thought the stock would look a lot shorter with that length barrel. I guess that short action has a lot to do with that. I am very anxious to see how it shoots. I am thinking about this in a .32.

Have you weighted it since getting it together? Just curious.

according to my bathroom scale, either right at 6# or JUST under. Its really pretty light, and I bet you could shave 1/2 #-1# with a tapered barrel

Squeeze said:
according to my bathroom scale, either right at 6# or JUST under. Its really pretty light, and I bet you could shave 1/2 #-1# with a tapered barrel
I thought it would be heavier than that! Was that with the Scope? The smaller .32 bore might add a bit but like you said the tapered barrel would help that.

Very Cool Squeeze! How soon till you get to shoot? I have no idea if we can even get to the firing line let alone the target frames at the club yet. :roll:

Back