Knight UL - Octagon

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
This 3-day weekend allowed some time to experiment, not only to see a weight reduction, but to see how it looks. I'm partial to Octagon barrels...
Set up my mill to cut the UL barrel to octagon (well 7 sides).

Before some needed draw filing.

Lost about 1/3 pound.

Attachments

• Oct UL new.jpg
    Oct UL new.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 505
  • Oct UL trans.jpg
    Oct UL trans.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 505
  • Oct UL w oct.jpg
    Oct UL w oct.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 505
I didn't want to mill the area under the ramrod (aka. 7 sides milled)
2 reasons: loss of thimble holes, gap under ramrod an additional 1/16" (I hate the large gap on all of today's ML - looks cheap).

Measures 0.720" across the flats at muzzle.

From the muzzle, I stopped the octagon short of the Knight factory roll stamp ID, 15" from muzzle.

Attachments

• Oct rr under.jpg
    Oct rr under.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 502
  • Oct rr.jpg
    Oct rr.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 502
  • Oct UL.jpg
    Oct UL.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 493
WOW!!! That is sweet and one-of-a-kind! Question: Does it effect the integrity of the barrel strength under pressure any?

halloflin said:
WOW!!! That is sweet and one-of-a-kind! Question: Does it effect the integrity of the barrel strength under pressure any?
I would say no. If you look at the photo '...needed draw filing' - I left just the edge of the round barrel, you can see it between the flats. That little edge was lost draw filing and final finishing.
Also, the original barrel contour changes near the breech (becomes even larger) and I am far from the combustion chamber - probably 8-9" from the face of the breech plug.

52Bore said:
halloflin said:
I would say no. If you look at the photo '...needed draw filing' - I left just the edge of the round barrel, you can see it between the flats. That little edge was lost draw filing and final finishing.
Also, the original barrel contour changes near the breech (becomes even larger) and I am far from the combustion chamber - probably 8-9" from the face of the breech plug.

That is amazing! You do great work...I really like it.

That is outstanding sir. Very impressive. Got my wheels spinning...

You just made a good looking rifle look even better. :yeah: Great work!

I would LOVE to see the look on Knights Face if that rifle came in for warranty work! :lol: :lol: I think it looks AWESOME!! VERY nice work 52bore!!

Idaholewis said:
I would LOVE to see the look on Knights Face if that rifle came in for warranty work! :lol: :lol: I think it looks AWESOME!! VERY nice work 52bore!!

Send it in and tell them one of your flats isn't like the others :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am impressed with the work and idea. My only concern, not for an experienced shooter like yourself, would be a double load. It should not happen but occasionally it does for one reason or another and that might give me pause. Now maybe I missed if in the breach area it was kept thicker.

WV Hunter said:
Idaholewis said:

Send it in and tell them one of your flats isn't like the others :lol: :lol: :lol:

WV Hunter, I bet there’d be some head scratching! :lol:

Pure genius. What a class case of workmanship. I love it and it looks great.

Afternoon 2 in the shop, since the mill was set up. Thought I'd do a 45 Elite since the UL contour used the same barrel profile/contour - UL is 2" shorter.

Again, 1/3 pound loss.
Took the top flat 2" father toward the breech (as well as the 2 flats on the under side) . I don't like the look as without the side flats, it's much wider - I didn't foresee that.

Attachments

• Oct before.jpg
    Oct before.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 336
  • Oct Elite w new.jpg
    Oct Elite w new.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 336
  • Oct Elite w oct.jpg
    Oct Elite w oct.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 336
I absolutely love it. The octagon barrel needs to make a comeback. Admittedly I like the First one better for the same reasons you mentioned but still very impressive.

Latest posts

Back