Knight UL - Octagon

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite a while ago i called GMB to ask what the proof load was for the barrels they made for Knight. I was told the proof load exceeded 50kpsi without a rupture.

If I recall correctly a max load for BH209 is somewhere around 35k psi? Should be plenty safe.

Corrected what looked out of place/wrong, now it's looking better...

Attachments

• Oct Thimble 1.jpg
    Oct Thimble 1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 139
  • Oct Thimble 2.jpg
    Oct Thimble 2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 139
SuperKirby said:
If I recall correctly a max load for BH209 is somewhere around 35k psi? Should be plenty safe.

Chances of you getting anywhere near 35kpsi with BH209 is virtually none without a serious mistake loading. 120grV and a 300gr in a 45cal sabotless is around 26-27kpsi. In a 50cal with sabot it would be lower for the same bullet weight.
HrhZnVW.jpg

52Bore said:

Oct Thimble 1.jpg
Oct Thimble 2.jpg
You re-cut the thimbles too I see. Looks fantastic that way! :yeah:

52Bore said:

Oct Thimble 1.jpg
Oct Thimble 2.jpg

Amazing. I doubt I would have thought I’d that but now that you did it it looks like that’s just how it was always meant to be.

Very cool. As far as barrel whip it would seem that Octagon would be stronger . I'm curious if your proven loads with that barrel will be the same .

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Very cool. As far as barrel whip it would seem that Octagon would be stronger . I'm curious if your proven loads with that barrel will be the same .
I have no proven load for either - never shot them..
Bought the UL for the stock, the Elite not long ago.. So, I'll just have to see how it goes.

That really is about the nicest-looking modification/customization that I have seen on a muzzleloader. It makes me curious as to what that kind of work would cost if one were inclined to seek out a machinist to do such a thing? Any guesses or estimates??

Latest posts

Back