155 gr Barnes?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
150 grains of powder in a .45 is well beyond overkill.

You can get the job done with half the amount of powder.

Magnumitis.....Not A Myth.

That said, you can't go wrong with Barnes bullets. I've used many different flavors and they all shine.

Last edited:
Where did you come up with 150 grains of powder?

I couldn't expand the pic for some reason, thank you.

Must be an older package as I haven't seen a 155 in the Expander on Barnes' website. I have considered the TAC-XP 155 which is a wide hole hollow point as a coyote bullet for the .45 smokeless though.

That said, you can't go wrong with Barnes bullets. I've used many different flavors and they all shine.
Sir with all due respect the OP did not ask for a opinion on the load of 150 gr or Magnumitus. I do agree with you about the Barnes bullets, I have never had a failure and only two bullets recovered. The rest were pass though with good expansion.

Sir with all due respect the OP did not ask for a opinion on the load of 150 gr or Magnumitus. I do agree with you about the Barnes bullets, I have never had a failure and only two bullets recovered. The rest were pass though with good expansion.
When companies list 150 grains for a charge it should be called out. A lot of novice shooters will see 150 grains and believe that to be gospel because that's what's on the package. Kinda like TV and radio and commercials and advertisements. They would never lie to increase sales...

150 grains for a .45 caliber bullet is either extreme ignorance on the part of the manufacturer or an intentional attempt at selling more powder because shooters will run out of powder much more quickly.

Only in modern America and the internet is valuable information looked down on. Which is terrible. Because new shooters should be armed with the truth about guns.

And the last time I looked, there's nothing in the rules that states a contrarian view cannot be expressed. The day may come when every thread in every forum is prefaced with "Only replies that agree with the OP are allowed". But that day is not today. Though we are getting close.

Unfortunately.

Be well.

Like the idea of those in that weight for punching paper, or yotes. Be easy on the shoulder and could get some great velocity with lil powder charge. I'm also a big fan of all copper projectiles. I get enough lead exposure at work, I don't need anymore for my hobby lol. My 2 cents on copper

When companies list 150 grains for a charge it should be called out. A lot of novice shooters will see 150 grains and believe that to be gospel because that's what's on the package. Kinda like TV and radio and commercials and advertisements. They would never lie to increase sales...

150 grains for a .45 caliber bullet is either extreme ignorance on the part of the manufacturer or an intentional attempt at selling more powder because shooters will run out of powder much more quickly.

The day may come when every thread in every forum is prefaced with "Only replies that agree with the OP are allowed".

Be well.
Hey moderators, can we?
just kidding. I have seen some threads that started that way but that’s just begging people to argue.
I agree that 150gr powder is rarely going to work well but they kind of have to put that info on the package cuz SO MANY are going to start with that load any way, since its also what their gun lists.

Opposing opinions (contrarian?) are a great way to let people know there are other ideas out there so keep it up brother.
btw, i would love to find a few of those 155 Barnes bullets. Bet they are awesome!

I've shot the Barnes 10mm 155gr TAC-XP my smokeless. I never did hunt with them but I wouldn't hesitate to. I would say =/<150yards they would be devastating at smokeless speeds!!!!

Even less with smokeless in my Scout.

Back