155 gr Barnes?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even less with smokeless in my Scout.
Nothing better than smokeless in a muzzleloader.

My inline is an H&R 1871 that I converted from .45-70 Govt to .40 cal. Drilled and tapped the breech for a 209 plug/nipple. 40 grains of Benchmark under a 155 grain Hornady XTP. Thin felt wad between powder and bullet.

Does everything I need inside of 50 yards. Great little brush gun.

Attachments

• IMG_3962.JPG
    IMG_3962.JPG
    449.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3961.JPG
    IMG_3961.JPG
    611 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3963.JPG
    IMG_3963.JPG
    514.5 KB · Views: 0

My inline is an H&R 1871 that I converted from .45-70 Govt to .40 cal. Drilled and tapped the breech for a 209 plug/nipple. 40 grains of Benchmark under a 155 grain Hornady XTP. Thin felt wad between powder and bullet.

Benchmark, cut that in half. Get you some N110.

Yes, Knight still had the 175s for sale pretty recently but are sold out now - and I have a bunch. Haven’t shot many to test them.
I was thinking about using them in my optima pro for deer hunting how do you think they’d work out to 150 yards with 70 grains by weight of blackhorn?

I was thinking about using them in my optima pro for deer hunting how do you think they’d work out to 150 yards with 70 grains by weight of blackhorn?
The (.40 cal) 175 gr Red Hots in a .50 Optima? You’d have to give it a try. Personally, I’ve never shot great groups with a .40 bullet/.50 sabot combo. Would be pleasant to shoot though.

I use Benchmark because it's a bulky powder.

It fills up the chamber space where the .45-70 case was.

It's also why I use the felt wad. Filler material.

But I thank you for the suggestion.
N110 is all I use. I had the longer plug installed in my Scout. It took most of the old 45-70 chamber out. If I'm remembering correctly, my plug holds 11gr of N110. In light loads it dang near perfect.

Back