265 Lehigh Prototype CF--50g Blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tom provided this all copper Lehigh Controlled Fracturing 265 grain prototype bullet. It was shot into the standard trap, which consists of carpet, 3/8" plywood, and water jugs backed by phone books. Powder charge was 50 grain Blackhorn; range was 25 yard, and an extra jug was added in case it penetrated through five of them.

The bullet was found in the fifth jug. Two petals were found on the ground. The first jug was severely damaged, and had three holes on the back side punched by petals. The second jug was damaged worse than the first; basically it was turned into a pancake. The third and fourth jugs were holed through, and through. The fifth jug held the bullet even though there was an opening in the back side.

IMG_1960.JPG

Those Bullets are impressive. The consistency is what I see as most impressive.

That looks like it works very good. do you no what the velocity is for the round at that range.

Squeeze said:
The 185 grain Controlled Fracturing bullet was tested, as was the 245 grain controlled Fracturing. Results were very similar to this bullet. What has been learned this past year is most bullets don't work at the slower speeds produced by only 50 grain of Blackhorn. This indicates most common bullets won't work out at longer ranges, even when the load is 120 grain of powder, nor will they work in reduced recoil loads.

None of my rifles have a fast enough twist to shoot the 215 grain 40 caliber bullet.

ronlaughlin said:
Squeeze said:
The 185 grain Controlled Fracturing bullet was tested, as was the 245 grain controlled Fracturing. Results were very similar to this bullet. What has been learned this past year is most bullets don't work at the slower speeds produced by only 50 grain of Blackhorn. This indicates most common bullets won't work out at longer ranges, even when the load is 120 grain of powder, nor will they work in reduced recoil loads.

None of my rifles have a fast enough twist to shoot the 215 grain 40 caliber bullet.

I knew it was a different bullet, but still in the lehigh CF stable. I have a disc 20 twist Ive been mulling over selling.. :poke:

Thanks for the testing Ron. If the bullet fails at 50grn of BH209 in your testing my testing is over. I wont use the bullet hunting at all. Ill be receiving tips for these bullets and ill also send you some more with tips in them and do the same test. Once the tips come i run both with tips and without thru the chrono to calculate BC of bullet.

Grouse said:
Thanks for the testing Ron. If the bullet fails at 50grn of BH209 in your testing my testing is over. I wont use the bullet hunting at all. Ill be receiving tips for these bullets and ill also send you some more with tips in them and do the same test. Once the tips come i run both with tips and without thru the chrono to calculate BC of bullet.

Why would you say that? Would your hunting load ever be down to 1200fps? Don't you hunt fairly close?

Muley Hunter said:
Grouse said:

Why would you say that? Would your hunting load ever be down to 1200fps? Don't you hunt fairly close?

My goal is always to hunt close unless i do some testing at long range on purpose for information. But when hunting anything can happen. I always make sure i use a bullet that works at all ranges for me. I do it for my own piece of mind and respect to the animal i am going after. My goal is to shoot a Bull Elk at 50 to 75 yards. But im also prepared to shoot at 250 yards if i need to.

Have you figured out at what range you're down to 1200fps with your hunting load?

Muley Hunter said:
Have you figured out at what range you're down to 1200fps with your hunting load?

No, when i chrono the loads i will find out. I havent shot past 200 yards yet either. I need to do that this weekend for sure. Right now im testing with 120grns by volume of BH209. I think im going to up it to 130grns by volume for Colorado. Just curious why you you mention 1200fps??

That's the fps Ron said the bullet was going for his test. The bullet will probably work at a lower fps, but at least you know it works at that fps.

Latest posts

Back