.280 Ackley Improved...?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JC, have you ever checked out the market on Drillings? Now there is a cool class of guns and a pricey one too. What is really neat is the quality of many of these pieces and most are found in cartridges of european persuation. Quality is usually very high. I keep an eye peeled for these, but have yet to find the big score. I did get the chance to shoot a SxS elephant rifle once that was made by the same guy who made the rifles for Spielberg used in Jurassic Park II. A Dr. friend of mine had it built, it was an entry level gun for 11,000 bucks. He had several drillings as well and was the one to introduce me to that class of guns. I always thought it would be very cool to hunt with a drilling in the Black Forest of Germany.

Rifleman said:
JC, have you ever checked out the market on Drillings? Now there is a cool class of guns and a pricey one too. What is really neat is the quality of many of these pieces and most are found in cartridges of european persuation. Quality is usually very high. I keep an eye peeled for these, but have yet to find the big score...... I always thought it would be very cool to hunt with a drilling in the Black Forest of Germany.

Rifleman,

Funny you should ask....

Below is a link to one that I almost purchased last Friday... Unfortunately, despite the fact that I was 500$ above the next highest bidder there was one other individual that still outbid me. I have no idea what his ultimate high bid was, but it is disappointing to know he got the gun for only 1$ more than my high bid...(my last bid was 2515$)...

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... um=7837650

(My intentions were to have the barrels redone, the chip in the stock fixed, and a claw mounted scope attached. The additional work would have come in around 1$k. However, in a refinished condition that gun would be worth about 2-3x the money put into it.)

While I know the gun was worth much more than my final bid. I always like to keep my powder dry for those rare occasions where truly exceptional deals come along!!

JC

The 280 AI is my favorite non-belted, non proprietary cartridge. Will do everything a 7 mag will do with less powder and recoil. I can highly recommend Clay Spencer as he smithed my 280 AI 6 years ago with one of his ultra accurate barrels. It is the most accurate 7MM caliber rifle I own. Nothing but praise for this rifle and caliber.(I primarily use RL-22 powder and 140 Nosler Ballistic Tips)

Will do everything a 7 mag will do with less powder and recoil.

Agreed, but at what cost?
Not arguing, but you guys are starting to get my attention and I have put on my pupils hat.

I bought a Weatherby Ultra Light already chambered for the 280AI from some one that had the work done but must not have liked the gun or as the place where I bought it from said the guy traded in 3 custom guns to buy one really nice one. I have also a 284win on a 700 action but I let the smith build the gun to heavy and it never was what I wanted. My next attempt at haveing the right mountain rifle was going to be the Weatherby but I didn't want to spend the money so I was going to buy a Browning Abolt in 270wsm or 7wsm, but then this deal came by. The gun chambered, with dies, with brass, and a 3.5x10 leuplod on top for $1250. I think in the Weatherby is a good rifle for this converson because you get a scaled down action and real close performnce to the 7 rem mag but you don't need that big heavy action. I shoot 154 Hor IB with rl22 at 3000fps over a cronagraph without any pressure. If you like to tinker with guns you'll be happy with it if you are going to pull it out once a year to hunt with buy a 280 or something standard.

If you want a light weight rifle, buy a NULA.

If you want a cheap and cheerful alternative, get a titanium M700.

jim

Latest posts

Back