.32 caliber inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Upper Hand said:
ShawnT said:
Watcha Building?

GM-32 clone
OH! :shock: 8) What twist did you go with? Are you doing the work yourself? You just got my attention! Can't wait to see the details and finished rifle. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Just sent a text to a friend of mine who has a fire hawk .32. I'll get you the twist rate.

I'm not doing the work, the builder was recommended to me when I pestered Knight about building one. Think something along the lines of the Brux barreled Knight that was for sale here recently, barrel and action no longer 1 piece. It should have the roughly the same profile as the GM-32, round action / octagon barrel.

Squeeze said:
Reworked to an Oregon barrel co. barrel. years ago, they were just 4140. But these were made for roundball. I'm pretty sure they have a heavy steel option also

Why did you edit out 12L14? That's their standard barrel steel. 4140 is a $100 upcharge.

Upper Hand said:
I'm not doing the work, the builder was recommended to me when I pestered Knight about building one. Think something along the lines of the Brux barreled Knight that was for sale here recently, barrel and action no longer 1 piece. It should have the roughly the same profile as the GM-32, round action / octagon barrel.
What Twist did you go with, standard 1 in 48 or something else? Can't wait to here about it. 8)

i have a traditions lightnng, it looks to be 2 piece barrel and receiver judging by the set screw in the front of the receiver under the barrel. i would be interested in doing a barrel swap on it. i contacted gun works and they will only supply a barrel. who does that type of work?

3322402_orig.jpg

picture borrowed from http://www.namlhunt.com/mlrifle3.html

Green Mountain Limited Edition .32 would surely have been a nice choice. Rarely see one for sale.

rangerod said:
Man I wish they'd make those again. I'd buy that in a Minnesota Minute. I wonder what twist rate? Great looker.
"Green Mountain built the rifles with their standard one turn in 48 inches .32 caliber muzzleloading twist, making the rifle a patched round ball rifle. "

It sure is a great looking rifle. I have personally never see one except pictures. There is one member of the board that has one but I am pretty sure he will not part with it and I can't blame him. :wink: :drool: :drool: :drool:

dr1445 said:
i have a traditions lightnng, it looks to be 2 piece barrel and receiver judging by the set screw in the front of the receiver under the barrel. i would be interested in doing a barrel swap on it. i contacted gun works and they will only supply a barrel. who does that type of work?

dr1445,

I've only seen a picture or 2 of the lightning. Is it a 209 or #11cap action? Is it a light rifle. I would be interested in the design of the current Breech plug in yours, especially the powder side. does the Bp screw into the action or the barrel? Sorry about all the questions but I am kind of researching actions for my next .32 build.

Gun works makes the Oregon Barrels but I think they will only fit one to the Ridgerunner or the Allen Action. They sell the Ridgerunner and the barrel screws on so they did mine. You might send a PM to bestill on this site and see if he would be interested. I am wondering if I could use one of my MK-95s but I know I would have to get a different BP made, if the barrel can be made to fit.

it depends, the rifle came with the A1344 bp for caps. there is a conversion kit for 209. the kit comes with the A1403 bp, which can use 209 or caps. google the part # and they should come up, if you get to the traditions site, you will need to scroll down. if doing a new build you might look at using the the knight m900023 bp, it has the nut for removal. 2 other features of the lightning, the bolt is cock on close and unlike other spanish rifles of the type the lightning uses 2 screws to hold the action in the stock.

Upper Hand said:
Squeeze said:
Reworked to an Oregon barrel co. barrel. years ago, they were just 4140. But these were made for roundball. I'm pretty sure they have a heavy steel option also

Why did you edit out 12L14? That's their standard barrel steel. 4140 is a $100 upcharge.
:lol: I dont even remember doing it. probably because my .36 barrel from them is 4140, But I ordered everything over the phone, before I had their catalog.

How about a .32 revolver style rifle? :think: Wonder if that would be legal to hunt with here. Having one wrist past the cylinder holding a forearm might get dicey in case of a chain fire. :d'oh!: But If your diligent, thats not really an issue.

Ive been wondering how hard it is to get the barrel off an MK-85.

I really wish Knight had a custom shop. Like TC did back in the day. If you could round up 25 guys willing to spend ~$1k That would sure be hard for knight to turn down a run of .32 Ultra lights... :poke: :partyman:

Squeeze said:
Ive been wondering how hard it is to get the barrel off an MK-85.

I really wish Knight had a custom shop. Like TC did back in the day. If you could round up 25 guys willing to spend ~$1k That would sure be hard for knight to turn down a run of .32 Ultra lights... :poke: :partyman:

Squeeze, I don't think you can get the barrel off most MK's. Some of the very early models may have barrels that are removable, but I think most of the green mountain models its all one piece. Not to say that someone couldn't do some custom work...but I'm sure it would be expensive.

I've said for years that I wish Knight would do a custom shop. At least a semi-custom shop...where you can mix and match what you want in a rifle. Maybe someday. The thing is... green mtn has already built the barrels previously...for .32, .36, .45 fast twist, .54 (GM-54) so they wouldn't have to do totally new design. Makes sense to me in my little world. :lol:

Latest posts

Back