.32 caliber inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in for one of the .32 caliber Ultra-lites. :yeah:

Ive been wondering how hard it is to get the barrel off an MK-85.

The MK-95 is sort of like the MK-85. The main differences are that the action is a tad shorter, the end cap for the plunger is a cap with the action having external threads (MK-85 is threaded internal) plus it has a bolt with a shell holder face for 38spl case rim (LRP). I was thinking about trying the MK-95 that I have as a back up. The 2 things that concern me is if the action has the meat needed to cut off the barrel and rethread barrel and BP (don't think so), or could the barrel be cut off about 1 or 1 1/2" infront of the BP and then be drilled and tapped so the new .32cal barrel was threaded and stops so that it butts up to the original BP. Then the BP would need to be remade so that it had no cavity in the powder side and just be flat faced. That part would not be a problem since my cousin made me some breech plugs and it is stored on the CNC lathe. He would just have to call it up and make it flat faced. :think: Might have to do some measuring this weekend and call someone. I am real curious to see how Upper Hand's build goes. Might be a better option.

dr1445 said:
it depends, the rifle came with the A1344 bp for caps. there is a conversion kit for 209. the kit comes with the A1403 bp, which can use 209 or caps. google the part # and they should come up, if you get to the traditions site, you will need to scroll down. if doing a new build you might look at using the the knight m900023 bp, it has the nut for removal. 2 other features of the lightning, the bolt is cock on close and unlike other spanish rifles of the type the lightning uses 2 screws to hold the action in the stock.

Thanks for the info. I did look some online but never saw a picture of the powder side of the Breech plugs. Just curious if it has a cavity made in it or is it flat faced (or even domed). Are you saying the Knight plug will fit the Lightning? :huh?: I know about the later hex plugs just never heard if the could be used in the Lightning. just never bought one for my MK-85.

Do you know if the breech plug screws into the barrel or into the action?

There are 3 of them on Gunbroker, or there were today. 1 blued and 2 stainless (or coated to look stainless not real sure what they are). The 2 action screws is a nice thing. How are the triggers on them?

ShawnT said:
I am real curious to see how Upper Hand's build goes. Might be a better option.

Be patient, I'm going to hold off on the details until it's done.

Squeeze said:
If you could round up 25 guys willing to spend ~$1k That would sure be hard for knight to turn down a run of .32 Ultra lights... :poke: :partyman:

I think a run of .32 Ultra lights would run substantially more than $1k each. Using the 1:20 Mountaineer as an example, you'd have the surcharge for the barrel plus the added expense of writing a new owners manual (1:20 45s just came with the standard booklet referring to the 45 as 1:30) and custom Kevlar stocks (barrel channel would need to be smaller). Something tells me if you offered $37,500 ($1500 each) for 25 rifles they'd say no even if you guaranteed payment.

Edit. Almost forgot custom ram rods.

It could work. I dont think I would go quite that fast on a .32. Its such a small gun really, its just a rabbit/squirreler. and usually for loading down and shooting roundball. A rounball barrel typically has almost twice the depth of groove. usually ~.007+, and up to .015, as opposed to a bullet barrel, that usually avg ~.004. Theres a couple of logistics that kind of fall off the board with a .32. It will never really be a long range gun, even with a maxi, and loaded hot, its really only an ~80 yard gun, 100 is pushing it in most cases. Its more of a specialty weapon, where say a .40 is though to be the best all around. (heavy enough for deer, able to be loaded light for fowl and small game, and well known as a very accurate caliber for roundball) The .32 is more at the end of the spectrum, and a kids first gun (todays .22rf) or a gentlemans gun, looking for a bit of a challenge, or a wider collection. (like a .410 shotgun) I spent a lot of time shooting small caliber blackpowder and seeng how far some things could be pushed. And with some research usually found, its been tried before, and most of the typical old standards are true. (except for the 48 twist on a .32, everything faster shoots better, but since it IS predominantly a roundball gun, I wouldnt build much faster.) there are several theories for rate of twist in a roundball gun ( Rayle, Cook, Greenhill) usually formulate a .32 at around 34-38 ROT

I would bet GM still has the CNC program for the 32cal squirrel rifle. Its next to nothing in retooling to spit those out. At one time i had a chance to buy one at a very good price. We cant use anything but a shotgun for turkey so i did not see any use for one. I don't really care to hunt squirrels anymore either.

I pretty much regret that decision now. They sure would be a great low cost (per shot) plinker with PRBs.

GM54-120 said:
I would bet GM still has the CNC program for the 32cal squirrel rifle. Its next to nothing in retooling to spit those out.

I believe this would be the case for the .32, .36. .45 (1:20), and .54.
Of course we could be wrong. I'd love to have a plinker... I guess we can keep on wishing! :D

the lightning breech plug has the same od as the knight but the treads are not the same, one is metric the other usa. if your threading the barrel why not thread it for the knight? i reworked the trigger on mine, i had to modify the safety to remove the the trigger slack, then start to stone the trigger sear.

WV Hunter said:
GM54-120 said:
I would bet GM still has the CNC program for the 32cal squirrel rifle. Its next to nothing in retooling to spit those out.

Of course we could be wrong. I'd love to have a plinker... I guess we can keep on wishing! :D

If i REALLY want one, i will send off an Elite 45 i have to be sleeved or re-barreled. IIRC there is a guy who will sleeve a barrel around $200 or less.

GM54-120 said:
WV Hunter said:
GM54-120 said:

If i REALLY want one, i will send off an Elite 45 i have to be sleeved or re-barreled. IIRC there is a guy who will sleeve a barrel around $200 or less.

I don't want one that bad to give up my Elite .45 :nono:

Maybe we can convince Cooper they need to make one, and offer it for a bargain price :lol:

I wouldnt sleeve a barrel If I had to do it again. The trick is to get it light. Any way to shave ounces, especially in the barrel is paramount

I would almost willing to bet a few dollars that if you could get commitments from 20 or so people that wanted a .32 caliber round ball barrel in a contour/profile that they can do, that Jason at Rice Barrels would produce the batch. Probably cost about $275.00 or so per barrel, maybe less if they were not threaded for breech plugs when delivered.

The barrel is not the real problem. Oregon already makes a 32 in straight or tapered to your specs and in a custom twist. The problem is the action part if you want a Bolt action. To keep a bolt action light you need a small action (besides barrel contour). Getting someone to do the mill and lathe work to put the bolt and BP in the barrel as a one piece barrel/action, like the knight Bolt actions, would most likely save some weight. A 700 action would be more weight I think. That Lightning might be a good option. Then there is taking a Extreme or Elite and cutting off the barrel and installing the barrel to it. In most of those cases the money you spend is going to be in the Machining work. Man I wish I had a lathe and mill. :roll: :mrgreen:

ShawnT said:
A 700 action would be more weight I think.

I had thought about doing this for a while but the diameter of the action put me off to the idea. One cold use a Savage action and use the barrel nut to hide a significantly smaller diameter barrel but the cost of a donor action would likely be prohibitive.

Squeeze said:
Its more of a specialty weapon, where say a .40 is though to be the best all around. (heavy enough for deer, able to be loaded light for fowl and small game, and well known as a very accurate caliber for roundball)/quote]

Squeeze, what twist rate for a 40 caliber? Are conicals readily available.

thats with the old patched roundball. Rate of twist really depends on what you want to shoot. the longer the bullet, the faster the twist. Roundball barrels are usually a very slow twist. the big conicals could go much faster. .40 cal is not legal for deer in some states. Most typical, .40 cal production guns would have the usual 48 twist. (sidelocks, roundball. some custom sidelock style going even slower, 1-56, 1-60 and less are common) A Pedersoli Gibbs .40 has a 1-16 twist for long conical.
It has long been known that a .40, and a .54 cal are kind of a sweet spot for most accurate calibers. This is mostly from the traditional roundball crowd. the long conical formulas also hold very true with more modern jacketed, and speed shooter. but there are always exceptions 45-70 barrels are .45 bore, and .458 groove (.004 depth rifling(X2) each way, .450/.458)and 18-22 twist. A .458 Win mag barrel, (also .450/.458) is usually 14-16 twist shooting much faster.

Just had a texting conversation with Brad W at muzzle-loader.com this afternoon about this gun. I mentioned the run GM did with their inline bolt action a number of years ago. IIRC correctly it was the Knight Disc platform. He wanted to know how much interest there is from members on the forum. He said the Crocket model is a big seller for them and agreed there's probably a decent market. Said he would check into it. Any members interested should chime in.

Latest posts

Back